Technical MGB discussion
Pierre De Rijck
Forename: Pierre
Surname: De Rijck
MGCC Member: Yes

brake & clutch oil

Post by Pierre De Rijck »

Hi

What brands are the best when renewing or topping up brake and cutch master cilinders of an MGB.
Thanks a lot.
Pierre De Rijck
MGB 1971 Roadster[/b]
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: brake & clutch oil

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Pierre
I don't think the choice is so much between brands as types of Brake Fluid.
The traditional brake fluid is hydroscopic so absorbs water, and at high temperatures this boils off and because a gas is compressible the pedal goes spongy. The modern standard for this is DOT 4. The other type is silicon based (DOT5) which doesn't absorb water but there are two problems. Firstly the pedal 'feel' is a bit different (but you do get used to it!) and secondly it is incompatible with DOT 4 brake fluid, and even a small amount left in the system can give very strange results. So if you want to change to DOT 5 you need to replace all the brake or clutch hydraulic system so there is no DOT 4 Fluid left in the system.

I mixed DOT 5 and DOT 4 in a Mini Cooper I had and it cost me new calipers, servo and wheel cylinders plus new brake lines and hoses to get rid of the result.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Pierre De Rijck
Forename: Pierre
Surname: De Rijck

Post by Pierre De Rijck »

Thanks a lot Pete.
Pierre De Rijck
MGB 1971 Roadster[/b]
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Confusingly there is also DOT 5.1 specification! This is glycol based and so is compatible with DOT 4 and other glycol based fluids.
DOT 5 is the odd one out and does not mix with any others.
DOT 5.1 has a higher boiling point than DOT 4 so is often preferred by racers as it gives a little margin for higher temperature in the braking system. I believe it is recommended to change DOT 5.1 at more frequent intervals, but whether this is due to it being more hygroscopic I'm not sure?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear