Squealing brakes

Technical MGB discussion
Rommel
Forename: Tony
Surname: Bave

Squealing brakes

Post by Rommel »

Front brakes are squealing when hot, new discs grooved and drilled new pads, been on long enough to bed in, copper grease on pad backs and on the retaining pins, pads move freely in the caliper, piston cut out towards the hub. am I missing something???

Brakes quiet when cold after driving a 10 mins start to squeal very high pitch.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Squealing brakes

Post by Ian F »

What pads?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Bumpa »

Very common MGB problem. I had a set of Mintex pads which were terrible. I now have GreenStuff pads and all is quiet. I tried the 3M brake anti-squeal shims - they worked at first but the noise came back after a short while. I'm afraid your drilled and grooved discs won't be helping. They really aren't necessary in a road car and are likely to wear out quicker than the standard disc because of corrosion in the holes and grooves.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Rommel

Post by Rommel »

I think they are EBC though not 100%
Rommel

Post by Rommel »

Bumpa wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 pm Very common MGB problem. I had a set of Mintex pads which were terrible. I now have GreenStuff pads and all is quiet. I tried the 3M brake anti-squeal shims - they worked at first but the noise came back after a short while. I'm afraid your drilled and grooved discs won't be helping. They really aren't necessary in a road car and are likely to wear out quicker than the standard disc because of corrosion in the holes and grooves.
Yes that's what I was thinking as I have tried everything else, so if it does not go away on its own will replace the discs and pads.
These were fitted by the previous owner (deceased) who was a vehicle technician and had the car from new, (64 B reg) I suspect it has been tuned either a hot cam or cylinder head or both as it is running on AAA needles, I asked his wife if he had tuned it and she said most likely as he use to race motorbikes.

Hence the uprated discs, it is very quick, quickest B I have ever had !
Oldaker
Forename: Graham
Surname: King
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Oldaker »

When I bought my current MGB last September the brakes squealed really badly. On removing the road wheels, I found "new" ( probably refurbished ) callipers had been recently fitted.
I tried all the usual fixes ( shims, Copaslip on the rear of the pads, new pads etc ) and nothing made any difference. I then looked closely at the callipers and found when the pads were fitted, there was some up and down movement available. To cure this, I stuck strips of Duct Tape above and below where the pads slide in and hey presto! No more squealing. I suspect the reconditioned callipers had some wear in this area and whoever reconditions them just shot blasts them clean, refinishes the exterior surfaces to make them look pretty and fit new seals.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Did it look like there would have been sufficient clearance to fit a thin stainless steel shim as a lasting alternative to the duct tape ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Oldaker
Forename: Graham
Surname: King
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Oldaker »

Yes, should be room. I just grabbed the tape as it was to hand, but it seems to be lasting OK.