fresh air intake and washer jets

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

fresh air intake and washer jets

Post by Not_Anumber »

I'm gradually working my way round stripping the panels back to bare metal then giving them a light temporary dusting with primer until the weather is warm enough to move onto painting.

Very soon I need to start on the scuttle. Can anyone tell me how to access the underside of this to remove the chrome fresh air intake and the washer jets please ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: fresh air intake and washer jets

Post by Ian F »

As far as I know the chrome fitting just pushes in to holes on the scuttle. Held by small plastic inserts for a tight fit. Just levers out.
At least that's what mine is like.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

Yes, the chrome grille can simply be levered out from above. Take care and do a little bit at each end until it comes free. It is possible to snap off the little legs that hold it so be careful.

The washer jets are held from underneath by a tiny nut. you have to get at them from behind the dashboard, and unless the interior is stripped out it isn't easy to do. See this picture https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GWW802CHROME
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks. I will be very careful. I'd already managed to break a leg off one of the C post GT plaques levering it out- which raises another question; Why do only some GT's have that GT plaque on the C panel ?

I realise now that they dont appear to be present on chrome bumper cars and are not even on all rubber bumper cars. Is the thinking that they can be removed and the bodywork there smoothed into the roofline ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Per Clausager the GT badge at the top of the rear panel was introduced in early 1976 to hide the panel joint when it
ceased to be leaded.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks Charles
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

To add to what Charles has said, the complete rear wing assembly goes right up to that welded joint on the C pillar, and right down to the seam on the rear panel inboard of the rear lights. On all chrome bumper cars these seams were hidden by filling them with lead solder (a process called lead loading). Later on in the rubber bumper era the lead loading was dropped, presumably to save money, and a badge was placed over the seam on the C pillar. The seams on the rear panel were just left and painted over. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-HZA4222

When I was welding a new rear valance on my 1969 GT I was surprised to see silver molten metal beginning to drip down. Then I remembered the lead loading and stopped to let it cool down. Fortunately the small amount lost doesn't notice. Just as well as my lead loading skills are zero.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

The fresh air intake legs never seem to quite match-up with the holes in the scuttle, so if you possibly can it's one of those jobs best done on a really hot day, when the small plastic holders will be as soft and flexible and forgiving as possible, and you'll only break as many as you absolutely have to. Try fitting the holders to the legs, and ever-so-gently easing them in together.

The air intake mesh comes in at least two different grades. Ashley Hinton feels any mesh restricts the flow of air, and therefor makes and recommends the alternative shown in the picture. Good luck!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/ashleyhinton ... 419&_pgn=1
IMG_7547.JPG
Last edited by Allan T on Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

I've never seen that mesh with the larger holes before. I certainly need a mesh as where I live there are a lot of trees and tree debris falls on the car quite often. I have had the fine mesh for years but, as you say, it must restrict the air flow. Is there a website for Ashley Hinton? The only one I can find has very little information on it.
Mike
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

Hi Mike,

I should have posted the Ashley Hinton link before - I've now added it to my original post, so the information is all in one place.

His price is for the complete unit - his perforated grill plate, the o/e frame that sits on top, and the plastic plugs to fit them to the scuttle.

He sells mostly through eBay, but he's in Great Bookham in Surrey so I saved myself the carriage costs by collecting from him in person ... and inevitably found a few more 'essential' items while I was there.

He's making lots of parts for MGs and other British cars in much the same way they were originally made, on the original presses, including the MGB heater tap.

Very highly recommended, and very helpful to deal with, and the sort of business it's a pleasure to support.