Lighter steering

Technical MGB discussion
Mike Pim-Keirle
Forename: Mike
Surname: Pim-Keirle

Lighter steering

Post by Mike Pim-Keirle »

Although it has never overly bothered me before, as I get older I am finding the heaviness of my MGB's steering increasingly arduous. I know there are a number of possible solutions to this - castor reducing wedges to fit between subframe and chassis, hydraulic power steering, electric power steering - maybe more, please tell me if so! I would be interested to hear any members experiences and opinions of any or all of these systems with regard to cost, effectiveness and ease of fitting. Thanks in anticipation.
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Lighter steering

Post by Bumpa »

I tried the castor wedges and found they made very little if any difference. And they were a pain to fit. I eventually threw them out, bit the bullet and bought a very expensive EZ electric PAS kit from Holland and fitted it myself. https://www.ezpowersteering.nl/

Recently I had a standard MGB in the garage and I couldn't believe the effort needed to wrench the wheel round when at parking speed, and that car had the correct size steering wheel, not a small one. My GTV8 running on 195 section tyres is a doddle to park and seems fine at all speeds. Would I go back to non-assisted steering? No way!

There is a cheaper alternative electric kit from Easysteer in the UK https://easysteer.co.uk/
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Re: Lighter steering

Post by Not_Anumber »

The EZSteer system seems very good,

I have heard of several people who have fitted the MGF / TF electric power steering column with good results. It needs slightly more work to fit but a good 2nd hand TF electric column can be sourced cheaply and there is plenty of information available on line to make it work. Its what i will be doing to my BGT at some point
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF