clutch bleed issue

Technical MGB discussion
waltmgb
Forename: Walt
Surname: Goddard

clutch bleed issue

Post by waltmgb »

I bought the clutch kit from Moss and replaced the master and slave. Fluid is being fed to the slave but seems to be an air leak as much air keeps coming out of the slave along with the fluid. Checked connectors and all seem tight, no apparent leaks. Pedal to floor, open bleeder, fluid comes out, close bleeder, pedal up. Repeated numerous times. Also pushed slave piston in, open/close valve, bleed as above. Still more air and no clutch action. Ideas?
1977 MGB
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: clutch bleed issue

Post by Ian F »

A difficult one!
Make sure you aren't opening the bleed screw too far, use red brake grease on the bleeder threads, and use a long tube from the bleed nipple down into a jar with brake fluid in it. These things should stop air being drawn back in via the bleeder.
If all connections are tight, and the hose is good (new?), Then the Master Cylinder must be drawing air?
Did you buy the best quality OEM, if not, then suspect a manufacturing or assembly fault.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

Clutch hydraulics can be notoriously difficult to bleed. Try using a vacuum bleed system, much safer than a pressure bleeding system.
Otherwise as Ian suggested it could be a faulty master or slave cylinder.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
waltmgb

Post by waltmgb »

Thank you for the ideas. Master, slave, and hose all included with the kit. All were replaced in the car. Master cylinder is a real bugger to change. Original issue was slave leaking so maybe I'll swap the master back and see what happens. One other thing, the kit came with three copper washers, 2 of which fit on either side of the banjo bolt. I could not find any spot that the 3rd one fit. Any experience with that or should I call Moss and ask them?
1977 MGB
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Have a look at the exploded diagram in the Moss parts catalogue for the washers, otherwise call Moss. Sorry I can't remember more about them!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Make sure the bleed screw is in the correct hole of the slave cylinder, i am aware that it may be in the incorrect hole to ensure the cylinder fits in the packaging it is supplied in. (Mine was & only realised when trying to bleed the system with a neighbour who spotted it)!
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

I had quite a job bleeding the original Lockheed clutch MC and after some research I decided to bin it rather than rebuild and got hold of a Girling type MC for an MGC & big Triumphs.

Bad points,
it took 10 mins with a Dremel to make it fit the pedal box, not a problem as I knew it would be required.
Filling the reservoir needs a small funnel as it sits slightly further back. This does reduce the chances of spillage though.

Good points:
Cheaper
Easy to bleed, right first time
Tougher part, made for heavy duty use.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
waltmgb

Post by waltmgb »

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions. I did transfer the bleed screw as it was in the wrong spot. Swapped the original master back in and all is well now. So the new master was feeding air into the system. Manufacturer defect I'm assuming. Although the thought of changing to a heavier duty and easier to bleed system sounds intriguing I think I'll stay with the current setup for now since all is working. (and return the faulty master to Moss)
1977 MGB