Oil top up

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Oil top up

Post by GeoffK »

Hi I bought my B approximately 18 months ago and have only done about 1500 miles. When I bought it ( with no history) the engine oil was very clean as if it had recently been changed. I added a can of Wynns to try to raise the oil pressure a bit. The oil level has now dropped to a point where it needs a top up. I have no idea what oil is in it and just looking for a 1litre can as a full oil change is years away. Any thoughts as to what I should do to top the oil level up? Should I just put another can of Wynns in or has anyone any thoughts as to what oil would do the job. Cheers Geoff
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Oil top up

Post by Paul Scott »

You should really change the oil & filter every year Geoff.

Needs to high zinc 20/50 or Penrite 20/60

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Oil top up

Post by Bumpa »

Wynn's is an oil treatment, not an engine oil, so I wouldn't put any more in your engine. These old engines are what is known as a "flat tappet" engine. This means that the cam followers, or tappets, are flat and actually slide across the face of the cam shaft lobes. It is generally thought that zinc oil additive is needed to give a long service life, so the easiest way to achieve that is to buy a named classic oil. A good one that you can buy in Halfords is Millers Pistoneeze 20W-50.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... 4wLjAuMA..
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.