Squealing

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Squealing

Post by GeoffK »

Hi
Since changing the alternator for a new Lucas one, there is an awful squealing noise when I start the engine. It only happens for a short while and is cleared by a couple of blips on the throttle. It does not happen again until the engine is cold but then happens every time I start the engine from cold.Any ideas as to what it might be? Water pump perhaps? Cheers Geoff
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Squealing

Post by Vic Butler »

It sounds like a slipping fan belt. Check the tension and condition of the belt and if ok sprinkle talcum powder on the pulley side of the belt.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Post by GeoffK »

Well who would have thought it! The last time I used talc to sort a squealing problem was 40 years ago changing the son’s nappy!
I took off the fan belt which was in ok condition and washed it in soapy water and dried it well. I cleaned all the pulleys with meths and reassembled. Where the * is that comma shaped fan belt tensioning tool that I made as an apprentice!
I now have a sweet running fan belt and a sweet smelling engine. I wonder which oil-encrusted mechanic first thought of using talc on an engine.
Thanks Vic! Good result. Cheers Geoff
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

Pleased to be of help Geoff. I've no idea who thought it up either. Cleaning the pulleys with meths is a good idea.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Rumour has it the mechanic who came up with the idea of using talc would try anything because he had already drunk all the meths. He was an odd sort. He used to be addicted to brake fluid but people claimed he could stop at any time.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF