Brake Bleed Issues

Technical MGB discussion
euytr
Forename: Michael
Surname: Woods

Brake Bleed Issues

Post by euytr »

I'm brand new to the forum and new to mgb's(my dad gave me his) and I wanted to make sure that I am on the right track with an issue I am having on the 73' mgb that I have.

I am putting the car back together after changing the shims in the diff and am bleeding the brakes. I can not get any brake fluid to come out of the driver side rear bleed nipple. I detached the brake line from wheel cylinder and have fluid coming out there but it is not making it through cylinder.
Can I assume that I should just replace the cylinder or is there something else I should check before I order a new one?

Thanks so much!
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Brake Bleed Issues

Post by Paul Scott »

Welcome to the forum

Have you tried with the nipple completley removed?

I'm sure other ideas will come shortly.

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
euytr
Forename: Michael
Surname: Woods

Post by euytr »

I actually had the same problem with the passenger side and was able to get fluid flowing after I removed nipple on passenger side. I removed nipple on driver side and it would not flow.

The cylinders look very new and the rubber looks good. The cylinders do not leak.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

I had a similar problem where the brake fluid could be bled just about at the unions but would not come out of the rear cylinder bleed nipples.

In my case this was found to be down to a failing master cylinder. It had been left off the car for some time and i presume there must have been a problem with the seals. Replacing the master cylinder made an instant improvement.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
waltmgb
Forename: Walt
Surname: Goddard

Post by waltmgb »

I had that exact issue with the rear drivers side. New wheel cylinder would not bleed, no fluid. Input line flowing. Removed the bleed screw and disconnected the input line. Used compressor line with rubber nipple and blew into bleed screw hole. "Stuff" came out the input hole. Fixed the problem.
1977 MGB
waltmgb
Forename: Walt
Surname: Goddard

Post by waltmgb »

I had that exact issue with the rear drivers side. New wheel cylinder would not bleed, no fluid. Input line flowing. Removed the bleed screw and disconnected the input line. Used compressor line with rubber nipple and blew into bleed screw hole. "Stuff" came out the input hole. Fixed the problem.
1977 MGB