Brake Master Removal

General MGB discussion
A D Price
Forename: Alun
Surname: Price

Brake Master Removal

Post by A D Price »

Just rebuilt the brakes apart from master cylinder on my 1974 MGBGT. Bled the brakes got all air out on all four corners and still got a soft pedal. Tried again with engine running same result so the master cylinder seems to be faulty with no apparent leak. Is it possible to change the master cylinder in the car? Had a look on you tube at a guy who removes the whole pedal assembly and clutch slave as well. Could anybody tell me the correct easy way to remove it. Thanks
Alun
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Brake Master Removal

Post by Bumpa »

The correct way is to remove the entire brake and clutch master cylinder with the mounting. It is possible to get the master out leaving the box in situ but it's a bit of tricky job. You will have to remove the large rectangular rubber bung that is behind the cylinders. You get at it from inside the car behind the dash. You can then use a socket on extension to get at the lower bolt. Read what Paul Hunt says http://mgb-stuff.org.uk/braketext.htm#bmreplace.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.