Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Prospective Ownership - Sense Check Questions

Post by Vic Butler »

The inlet valves are MGC ones.
The head was modified about 10 years ago by Brian Slark who used to be Downton Engineering 's chief cylinder head whizz.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Matt
As previously mentioned, the sills are prone to rust and are critical to the integral strength of the MGB’s unitary construction. My acid test when looking at MGB’s is to ask the prospective seller if you can jack the car up using the original Jack and jacking point. If they refuse walk away. If they allow this, slowly wind the jack handle checking the car moves as the jack raises the car. If not the jack is probably deforming the castle section due to corrosion. When jacking the car check the door gaps. If these increase then the sills are probably very weak/corroded.
Be aware of any cars with chrome over sills, they may look nice and shiny but are usually there to cover sill corrosion.
Good luck with your search.
Mike Barclay
Steven collins
Forename: Steve
Surname: Collins

Post by Steven collins »

“Be aware of any cars with chrome over sills, they may look nice and shiny but are usually there to cover sill corrosion”

That comment is a bit harsh, yes they can sometimes be there to cover up corrosion so you should be made aware, however, I happen to like the “bling” look and have the chrome over sills and were installed straight after a full rebuild of the car, they are totally sealed in between and around the original structural sills and the over sill, also regularly checked to ensure no ingress of damp or water. Would I install them again yes as long as the original sills are structurally sound to begin with.
BlueComet
Forename: M
Surname: D

Post by BlueComet »

Thanks for the recent replies

Is there a recommended car cover to use between spring and autumn?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

My own view is that it's really important to keep any cover off the body to allow air to circulate. If you can't do that then it might be best not to cover it.
A car port or a portable garage (Machine Mart) if you don't have a garage.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Machine Mart portable garages are remarkably cheap but I can't speak for their quality or durability.
You'd need to check with your local council before because there might be some obscure by law that would prevent it.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Johnboy
Forename: John
Surname: Skinner

Post by Johnboy »

Im not sure if this is relevant now, but I have an MGB Roadster that is stripped down, and all welding and rust has been removed, and it is still on a spit at the moment so if you would like to view it before I start to paint it, and then you can see what is really involved in a restoration.
You will have to be quick though because I am trying to get this ready for summer.
Im in Berkshire
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

If you are driving East into Essex at any point you can drop in to see work in progress on my B GT too
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF