Windscreen - which to buy

General MGB discussion
David Witham
Forename: David
Surname: Witham
MGCC Member: Yes

Windscreen - which to buy

Post by David Witham »

Some time ago I replaced the windscreen on my 1974 CB MGB roadster. The original screen had lots of micro chips and little scratches which would catch the lights of other traffic. So I bought a screen for well less than £100. It was laminated but thinner than the original screen.

Recently, I went on the register trip to the Atwell Wilson motor museum in Wiltshire. On the way home driving along with the windscreen wipers on I suddenly noticed a crack had appeared in the screen, from top to bottom. On inspection at home I could see it was just the outer layer. There is no sign of the glass being hit by anything. I am rather disappointed as it had been a good day out.

So I have been looking on the websites of the usual suppliers at windscreens. There are modestly priced screens in the £75 to £100 range and then Moss offer a genuine Pilkington Triplex screen for £391. I expect the cheaper screens are similar to what I bought last time.

I am wondering which to buy and interested in other peoples experience.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Windscreen - which to buy

Post by Vic Butler »

Buy cheap buy (at least) twice. I'd go for the Pilkington one. Are heated windscreens available for MG's?
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine