Smiths Dual temp/Oil pressure gauge replacement

General MGB discussion
AndyC
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Cooper
MGCC Member: Yes

Smiths Dual temp/Oil pressure gauge replacement

Post by AndyC »

Hi, I have just replaced the Smiths dual temp/oil gauge after many years of only the oil pressure gauge working, The previous owner had fitted a separate, unreliable temp gauge which generally showed close to hot all the time. The new gauge plus copper piping and new pipe from engine all fitted. It seems that oil is getting as far as the connection near the bulk head but not as far as the gauge as this appears dry and the gauge is registering zero. Temp gauge working beautifully. So what's the issue? Old oil gauge worked, new one doesn't. It's not like there is anything to disturb in the changing of the gauge. Many thanks in advance.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Smiths Dual temp/Oil pressure gauge replacement

Post by Vic Butler »

Air lock in the tube to the gauge?
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

You don't need the oil to reach the gauge. Pressure is pressure whether its in oil or air. I have never bled the gauge pipe and my gauge works everytime it has been disconnected, which is several times over the years. I take it you haven't got oil coming out of the back of the gauge? There should be a tiny oil seal washer in the connection. I suspect there is a blockage somewhere. You could try disconnecting the pipe at the back of the gauge, hold a container under it and crank the engine without starting it. See if any oil comes out. Other than that the new gauge must be faulty.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Thanks for your replies. Oil is getting to the gauge, however I am now thinking faulty new gauge. Taking a piece of strimmer nylon and gently putting into the back of the new gauge where the oil would go it only goes about 2/3 millimetres however on the old gauge it goes in a good 12 mil. Is there anything I can do about this other than get a replacement?
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Just to end the thread. Sent the gauge back for testing. It worked for them. Re-fitted it in my car, worked for me...............Go figure! :D