Seats Question

General MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Re: Seats Question

Post by Not_Anumber »

The seats have come up quite nicely with the new foams and webbing and with the covers washed. Another few minutes to get the last crease out of the base covers and they will be ready.

I'll need to work out how to take the rear seat base apart then to replace the foam.
Attachments
seat after clean.jpg
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Looking like an impressive result Chris!
Have fun getting the seats back in the car - they are a pain to do!
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

The challenge before that will be getting the stripes to line up between the base and back. The seat reassembly videos on youtube all had plain leather or fabric covers so it wasnt a consideration . I didnt realise how far out the stripes were until i took that photo. :shock:
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

Charles Farran wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:58 pm Looking like an impressive result Chris!
Have fun getting the seats back in the car - they are a pain to do!
Cheers,
Charles
Here's a tip for putting the seats back in the car. Get four longish bolts of the same thread as the captive nuts on the floor and cut their heads off. Screw them into the captive nuts on the floor and they will poke up through the carpet. You can now lower the seat onto the cut-off bolts for positioning and then replace each cut-off bolt with the correct bolt one by one. Simples.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Mike,
What a simple solution - why didn't i think of that????!!!!!!
(Balancing the frames on the wooden laths & the spacers & keeping everything line up , whilst trying to get the bolts started, is decidedly frustrating).
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

The stripes can be made to line up by adjusting the covers and re clipping.
seat tidy.jpg

Donie wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:08 pm The car is a 1978 Roadster with the dreadful 'deckchair' seat covers.
Thats what i first thought when i saw mine but I cancelled my order for replacement covers when the penny dropped they are a factory original item which is rapidly disappearing. So many have been swapped out for leather, vinyl or plain cloth that bizarrely they may soon start becoming rare.

Interestingly the deck chair fabric was less loathed in the US where it was normally only used as standard equipment on the LE spec cars.

As some here may I know my B's stablemate until recently was a Ford Capri. The choice of seating fabric on the Mk2 Capri 'S' for some years was grey or orange deckchair fabric, almost indistinguishable from that used on late MGBs. Mk2 capri owners will pay a fortune for a good set of deckchair fabric seats thsese days due to rarity and the desire for originality.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Statler
Forename: Stephen
Surname: McClune

Post by Statler »

Great work Chris, really impressed with how they turned out.
I'm very tempted to do the same with mine now. Thankfully I haven't ordered new covers yet!