General MGB discussion
Remyd
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Battery cut off switch

Post by Remyd »

Fitted a battery cut off switch and new battery to the mg today. Pretty straight forward and easy job even for a newbie like me. Planned the work in my head well in advance and it was plain sailing.
Attachments
IMG_20201230_163959_481.jpg
20201230_154358.jpg
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Dave Wheatley
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley

Re: Battery cut off switch

Post by Dave Wheatley »

Well done. I've had trouble for a few months now with battery going flat after a few days standing. I would want my cut off switch to be more accessible though. Blooming daft place to site a battery when there is plenty of room under the bonnet!
Isuspect my flat battery problem could be my cheap and nasty radio with the memory live wire.
1978 MGB GT
1967 Morris Minor convertible
1972 Ford Cortina
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
No modern!
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Dave, my cutoff switch on my BGT is on the bulkhead just behind the passenger seat. Easy to reach from the driving seat. It interrupts the negative earth cable so is very easy to fit.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

A really good mod for working in the electrical system, and also handy as an immobiliser if the switch is the removable 'key' type. You just need to be aware if you have passengers in the rear, or any bags stowed behind the seats, that the switch might accidentally get knocked, killing the ignition! Guess how I know...
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Also kills the alternator if the engine is running when the battery is disconnected!!

Ian F
MGCC member
Dave Wheatley

Post by Dave Wheatley »

Thanks Ian and Tom.
I think fitting the key type switch should solve the accidental switch off problem.
Ian how did you route the negative cable to your cutoff switch? On my car, single 12v type, the negative terminal is towards the rear of the battery "box".
1978 MGB GT
1972 Ford Cortina
No modern!
B Faiers
Forename: Barry
Surname: Faiers
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by B Faiers »

Just a quick warning.... If the switch is the red removable 'T' shape key type.

Be aware that the plastic key is not hard wearing and after some time the end will wear/compress and not have enough length to push the contacts in the switch together. I cured the problem with a self tapping screw in the end of the key, but not something you want to be doing on a cold dark night. The other altenative is a muti-jointed passenger who can reach behind the seats to push and hold the key in place whilst you drive ;)

My final solution was to buy a better quality switch with a non-removable key. As the twist switch is black it hardly shows against the black carpet so is not obvious to the casual observer.
1958 MGA Coupe
1926 MG 14/28 Bullnose
2023 MG HS Exclusive
2003 MG ZS180
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Dave, this is what I did:

1. Remove original cable from battery to earth
2. Buy new cable with two ring ends. Make sure it is long enough to reach from original earth point to battery switch.
3. Assuming the battery switch has two posts with nuts, as I believe they all are, attach original earth cable from battery negative to switch post (it will probably require a different orientation).
4. Attach new cable from original earth to switch.
5. Hole in the rear bulkhead requires to be in location giving space for switch body in battery box, behind passenger seat. Key sits conveniently to hand behind seat.

I have the two 6 volt batteries, so you may need longer cables?

Ian F
MGCC member
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

B Faiers wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:56 am Just a quick warning.... If the switch is the red removable 'T' shape key type.

Be aware that the plastic key is not hard wearing and after some time the end will wear/compress and not have enough length to push the contacts in the switch together. I cured the problem with a self tapping screw in the end of the key, but not something you want to be doing on a cold dark night. The other altenative is a muti-jointed passenger who can reach behind the seats to push and hold the key in place whilst you drive ;)

My final solution was to buy a better quality switch with a non-removable key. As the twist switch is black it hardly shows against the black carpet so is not obvious to the casual observer.
I have these red keys in my BGT and Midget (and in other cars I've owned). Never noticed any wear at all and I disconnect whenever parked.

Ian F
MGCC member
Dave Wheatley

Post by Dave Wheatley »

Ta for the tip B Faiers!

Thanks Ian, it was how you got the cable through the bulkhead that I was wondering. Thought there might have been an existing hole!

While we are on about batteries, does anybody else have trouble undoing the lid "screws"? As I undo say the third screw, I find that at least 1 screw that I have undone has done itself up again. Very exasperating, and the last one has always seized up anyway. I am tempted to cut the screws off, and install large self tappers.
Edit. Is there a name for the lid screws? Polite answers only please!
1978 MGB GT
1972 Ford Cortina
No modern!