Recon Stub Axles

Technical MGB discussion
Trouble Monkey
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Bennett

Recon Stub Axles

Post by Trouble Monkey »

Hi All,

Has anyone got any experience with recon stub axles? Mine need replacing and recon units seem a better deal at half the price of 'new' ones, but I have seen some negative feedback about quality online.

Thanks,
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Recon Stub Axles

Post by Ian F »

I've had my BGT since 1978 and always used reconditioned stub axles - I don't think new ones were available for several years. I've also found that reconditioned parts are frequently better than some of the newly manufactured parts (no experience with new stub axles though).

If you buy from a reputable source I don't think you should have any problems. If you are buying over the counter, have a good look at what is being offered. Make sure that the axle part has no ridging, corrosion marks etc. Examine the threaded end and check the threads. Check the fit of the new bushes and the adjustment of the top trunnion. Any doubts and reject it and ask to see another one. I've done this with front shock absorbers to make sure I get two exactly the same - there are some slight differences if you look closely!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Trouble Monkey

Post by Trouble Monkey »

Excellent, thanks Ian.

I'm sure I'll very quickly find some other bits to spend the money I've saved on. :D
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

There are bearings available now for the top trunnion - in place of the bronze thrust washers. They are said to make the steering easier, but again I've stuck with the original shims and thrush washer arrangement on my BGT.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Trouble Monkey

Post by Trouble Monkey »

I have been looking into that as it happens. From what I've read you can get a complete pair of Koyo needle bearings and washers direct from suppliers for about £25, so I might give that a go if I get time.