Front wing removal MGB GT

Technical MGB discussion
lombardp
Forename: Paddy
Surname: Lombard

Front wing removal MGB GT

Post by lombardp »

Hi, looking for some advice on removing the front wings on an 1968 GT. Is it necessary to drop the dashboard to access the retaining bolts nearest the windscreen scuttle panel?

Thanks in anticipation.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Front wing removal MGB GT

Post by Ian F »

Some years since I last removed the front wings on my 72 BGT (have done this twice), and I definitely did not need to touch the dashboard. Some bolts are a bit tricky, but with a decent socket set it should be no problem.
If you are replacing the wings with new, be prepared to have to do a bit of fiddling to get a good fit. The wings I fitted were not the same overall length but got an acceptable fit eventually.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Paddy,
This might help you especially when it comes to re-fitting the wing.
https://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewt ... ?f=4&t=129
I started the thread and eventually answered my own question - nearly 4 months later! The embedded link to Middlebank is very useful as well.
My car is a roadster but the only difference with a GT is the complication with the windscreen doesn't apply.
It is difficult to get good 1/2 AF/UNF ratchet spanners but an 13mm will do the job - A Halfords Professional is good and has a 5 deg ratchet. I would also recommend getting a front wing fitting kit which gives you all the bolts and correct washers to fit the wing. Make sure you only start tightening everything up when all the bolts are fitted, otherwise you will loose the ability to adjust the wing forwards/backwards. Also get a fitting kit for the chrome strips although you do get a kit for the car. It is unlikely you will get the old fixing off the wing to be able to reuse them.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
lombardp
Forename: Paddy
Surname: Lombard

Post by lombardp »

@Ian. Thanks for that info, I was just about start into the dashboard removal, not a nice prospect!

@Peter. The roadster windscreen mounts are different ok. Yes, align the new wings before final tightening. I'll need a trim clip kit, the originals are well beyond use.

Thanks guys for your advises. Paddy
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Paddy, if you have a replacement wing to hand, it's ideal for identifying all of the bolt holes used to fasten it on. The ones down by the A post are the trickiest, accessed behind the footwell trim panels, and the ones behind the fascia can be awkward (up under the dash, but you don't have to remove the dash!). Rust is the only thing that makes things very difficult, and if your wings haven't been replaced since 1968, you will undoubtedly encounter some.
Lindsay Porter's book on MGB restoration is a handy guide.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

Took mine off just last week.

There is potentially a small difference to roadster.

All bolts are straightforward (assuming no shearing...) apart from the top x3 you have identified. Impact driver useful.

There are 3 holes.

The one to the front is accessible, allbeit awkward at driver side, but I got it out a fraction of a turn at a time with no removal of anything.
My middle was missing.
Regarding rear, it seems that on some GT's (MGOC forum suggests some have this and some not) the bolt is fixed outside in. Take a look at my pic and check out the rearmost top bolt. With the wing on you can see if you have one like this.

The funny shaped 'spacer' as it is called was used on mine, and I assume others, to pin the wing to the scuttle rather than as a spacer with bolt from inside - which would be very difficult to access at any time. So that made things much simpler than I had imagined it would be. It was only when writing this that i have not checked to see if this is threaded or if i have dropped a nut off the back on removal....

G
000.jpg
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

I fitted new wings last year. The best piece of advice I found was to run a tap through all the bolt holes before starting. That really helps with the awkward ones under the dash. Using pointed bolts also simplifies things. As do double-jointed hands ;)
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf