General MGB discussion
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Insurance Cover for "Non Essential Journeys."

Post by Vic Butler »

This afternoon I received an e newsletter from the Land Rover insurance company on the subject of whether insurance cover for a journey that might be deemed "non essential" would be invalid. The answer is categorically NO. Provided the driver and vehicle are both legal then insurance cover is valid whatever the journey.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Paul Heffernan
Forename: Paul
Surname: Heffernan

Re: Insurance Cover for "Non Essential Journeys."

Post by Paul Heffernan »

Vic Butler wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:46 pm This afternoon I received an e newsletter from the Land Rover insurance company on the subject of whether insurance cover for a journey that might be deemed "non essential" would be invalid. The answer is categorically NO. Provided the driver and vehicle are both legal then insurance cover is valid whatever the journey.
Well, that does make sense. Firstly, imagine insurance companies trying to prove any journey was valid or not, it could be done but would stretch resources, particularly at the moment.

But also, they'd be obliged to refund us for nearly two months (at the moment) of reduced use/cover. Certainly can't see that happening :lol:

Stay safe.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Insurance Cover for "Non Essential Journeys."

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I have seen this from a couple of classic car insurers - my own (Heritage) and also from Lancaster. Given the rule change to 'you can now drive anywhere', remember that classic car policies usually do not provide cover for home to a place of work. If your are thinking of giving the car a bit of exercise when you return to work check your policy.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965