Clutch thrust bearing "upgrade"

Technical MGB discussion
Philip Tibbitts
Forename: Philip
Surname: Tibbitts

Clutch thrust bearing "upgrade"

Post by Philip Tibbitts »

Has anyone installed one of the "upgraded" roller bearing clutch thrust bearings, replacing the OE carbon one?

Are they good to use, or do they cause quicker thrust bearing failure?

Moss have been selling them for some time - so how did they get over the non-concentricity running of the bearing surface due to the arc caused by the actuating arm, with induced premature failure ?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Clutch thrust bearing "upgrade"

Post by Ian F »

Philip, I think you have identified what is generally considered to be the main problem with the roller bearing design. For my part, I decided to stick with the original design of carbon bearing - always worked perfectly for me so I didn't see any need for an"upgrade".
I may be a bit resistant to change, but it seems to me that the majority of the "upgrades" offered are principally designed to extract funds from our pockets!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

I've heard that there are misalignment problems with these roller bearing thrust bearings. It seems a good idea but like all good ideas there's always a downside. Stick to the good old carbon thrust bearings, they've been used for decades. If the roller bearing one was better maybe it would have been factory fitted.
I agree with Ian. It's a gimmick to make you part with your money.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Paul Heffernan
Forename: Paul
Surname: Heffernan

Post by Paul Heffernan »

I'm no expert but this makes sense to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KIdkOW ... e=youtu.be
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I considered using the roller bearing type when I fitted a new clutch during the engine rebuild, but decided against it on cost as the carbon type came with the AP kit, and I had never had a problem with the carbon type on any car in the past. The problems highlighted above and in the YouTube video set me thinking, as Fords I have had used the roller type. In this case though the carrier is pivoted on one side of the bell housing and has a hole for the input shaft to the gearbox to pass through. The carrier then go through a cutout in the side of the bellhousing for the cable to connect to. The movement then is much less of an arc than the MGB has and the bearing pivots top and bottom so the bearing meets the clutch cover assembly square on. Ford also developed a self centering release bearing.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965