1972 BGT steering column bushes

Technical MGB discussion
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

1972 BGT steering column bushes

Post by Ian F »

I am in the process of rebuilding my steering column - the semi-collapsible type - and thought I would replace the top and bottom plastic bushes. Just received two from a well known supplier (not Moss) and I find the internal and external dimensions of the bottom bush way too big (loose on the column and will not fit into the housing on the external column).
Anyone found any bushes which fit, or any advice? I may well just reuse the old original bushes!
IanF
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Re: 1972 BGT steering column bushes

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I had an advisory on the MOT for play in my top bush of the column. I bought a new nylon bush from Midland Sports and Classics. I had to cut it lengthways to get it in. Even then it was pretty tight on the shaft when oiled. After many years (about 15) and 30,000 miles its worn to be just about right now. The bottom bush is a felt and graphite thing. I found if you soak it in oil it recovers.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Paul. Your set-up sounds very different to the one on my 1972 BGT. The original bushes (which I have just taken out) are both black plastic. I will take a look at Midland Sport and Classics and see if anything looks similar to what I need,

Ian F
MGCC member
Paul Hollingworth
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Hi Ian,
I've just had a browse of the Moss catalogue and you are right that the collapsible column came in in 72, so my 71 roadster will be different to your GT. Moss do list the bushes for yours - top bush MGP1050B, bottom MPB1002, about £13 the pair.
I stopped doing business with Midland Sports and Classics when they refused to do counter service and wanted a minimum order of £10 (I think) plus postage. I only wanted a £4 exhaust mount. I had spent hundreds with them over the years but obviously didn't need local trade anymore. Their loss is David Manners gain, I think.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Paul. I've checked on several MG parts websites and they all seem to be selling the same bush. Would be very interesting to know if anyone has bought one of these and found it fitted their column!
B&G have agreed to refund the cost to me so the bush will be back to them in the post tomorrow!

Ian F
MGCC member
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Just as a further thought and a bit of information which may be of assistance to fellow MGB owners:

# The original lower steering column bush (semi-collapsible column 1972 MGBGT) consists of a double skin structure with cut-outs which locate the bush in indents in the outer steering column shaft. This double skin does allow some flexibility for a very snug fit inside the outer steering column. See photographs attached which I think should be self explanatory.

# The dimensions of the original lower steering column bush to fit the column are - internal diameter 25.6mm, external diameter 33.3mm

# The replacement bushes on sale generally (as far as I can ascertain) - Part No MPB1002, are all similarly made from a single piece of very hard plastic. The dimensions of this bush are internal diameter 26.5mm, external diameter 34.5mm. This lack of flexibility and these dimensions mean that this bush is far too loose on the inner column, and cannot be fitted into the recess of the outer column. Additionally there are no cut-outs on the bush to locate in the indents of the outer column.

It is of course possible (although very unlikely?) that my 1972 BGT has a steering column of slightly different dimensions to most others, and that these replacement bushes do generally fit the majority of Bs. Would be interesting to know.

I am also repairing the sliding (collapsing) joint on my column using the hot glue method as recommended by Gerry Masterman in the USA, if anyone wishes to have more information on this.

Hope this may be of some use/assistance,

IanF
Attachments
IMGP0021e.jpg
IMGP0027e.jpg
IMGP0016e.jpg
MGCC member
Falcon
Forename: Terry
Surname: Dobbs

Post by Falcon »

Paul Hollingworth wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:39 pm I had an advisory on the MOT for play in my top bush of the column. I bought a new nylon bush from Midland Sports and Classics. I had to cut it lengthways to get it in. Even then it was pretty tight on the shaft when oiled. After many years (about 15) and 30,000 miles its worn to be just about right now. The bottom bush is a felt and graphite thing. I found if you soak it in oil it recovers.
I am having problems with the nylon bushing seizing and causing the steering not to self center when released. I tried adding a few drops of 3n1 oil to the top of the bearing and it helped but it is still dragging somewhat. I've had the car for three years and this is a new problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul Scott
Surname: Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

Terry
Do not Hit the shaft

Yours may be a collapsible shaft and it does not take a lot to break it.

I'm sure good advise will follow.

https://www.v8register.net/sub3/news190 ... column.htm

https://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/16 ... umn-R2.pdf

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Terry, there are at least three types of steering column fitted, and these are not particularly well documented. As Paul says, they require to be treated carefully. If they are of the semi-collapsible or collapsible type they can be damaged easily (I damaged mine I believe by the action of removing the steering wheel).
What year is your car?
If this stiffness has just arisen it may be misalignment of the uj if you have one on your car. If so try disconnecting it and this will help confirm exactly where the stiffness is.

Ian F
MGCC member
Johnboy
Forename: John
Surname: Skinner

Post by Johnboy »

nothing
Last edited by Johnboy on Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.