Deck chair seat covers loose

Technical MGB discussion
Philip Tibbitts
Forename: Philip
Surname: Tibbitts

Deck chair seat covers loose

Post by Philip Tibbitts »

I could do with some recommendations in the seat covering department please!

The original silver / Blue Deckchair material seat covering has become very loose and I was wondering why?

Obviously, age and fair ware and tear has taken it's toll, but the material is generally in really good shape, just loose and sagging, appearing to have become detached from the foam it coverslip?

I was wondering if the material was originally bonded to the foam bolster(s) and if so, wondering if it's possible to spay glue it back in place, matching the original shapes formed by the shapes indented in the foam?

Or is it possible to still obtain new OEM material / replacement covers and how was the material made to follow so closely, the shapes of the foam ?

Replies and options appreciated in advance,

Regards,

Phil.
Paul Wiley
Forename: Paul
Surname: Wiley
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Deck chair seat covers loose

Post by Paul Wiley »

The covers are removable. The foam cushions underneath slowly collapse over time and the rubber diaphragm under the sear can be damaged meaning that it is no longer attached to the frame at all points. All parts can be obtained from the MG Owners Club and perhaps other suppliers.

New cushions to fit in the seat squab seems like a good way to go.

I have taken a different route. I have a small white terrier type dog. Her fur covers everything. So in my cars I have fitted tough nylon/polyester waterproof seat covers. I recently bought a pair of covers in black with red headrest covers. These were too large as they are to fit a 'standard' modern car. They came from these people:-

https://www.carseatcoversdirect.com/

who were very helpful. The covers were £15 each so not a big expense. My wife tailored the covers to fit the seats. Her sewing machine worked fine on the heavy cloth. I removed the passenger seat so she could fit the covers to it. The result is that the original seats have some protection and the rather nauseating stripey seats now look very smart in my red GT (I think!). I have covered the rear seats with a similar heavy synthetic cloth - again tailored by my wife and her trusty sewing machine.
Tony Lilly
Forename: Tony
Surname: Lilly

Re: Deck chair seat covers loose

Post by Tony Lilly »

Got any photos please. New seats are down my list at present so perhaps your idea is worthy of a look.
Thanks
''It's taken me 35 years to get an MGB GT''