Front Brakes

Technical MGB discussion
Nigel Pratt
Forename: Nigel
Surname: Pratt
MGCC Member: Yes

Front Brakes

Post by Nigel Pratt »

Looking like I'm going to need replacement brake calipers soon. What does anyone recommend? Standard road car so I don't need anything too hardcore. Seen BCC and Wilwood from Moss - anyone had any experience with these? Thanks
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Front Brakes

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Nigel
The standard calipers are fine.
After all the FIA spec race and rally car have to use them. A few years back I drove Gerry Browns FIA spec rally/race MGB and the brakes were mighty impressive.
If you drive the car fairly quickly you might find EBC Green Stuff pads will suit better, but you do have to drive hard to get them to heat up. You can also fit MGB GT V8 pads in a standard B caliper and you get about 12% more pad area. It might be worth changing the discs at the same time, unless they are fairly new. Budget around £45 per caliper for new ones or around £35 for overhauled ones.
Any of the major parts suppliers can provide new calipers, and some supply overhauled calipers. Prices do vary a little so it is worth shopping around and remember to factor in the post and packing charges to get a true price comparison. With the show season about to start you can often get good 'Show Special' deals and of course you would save the P&P.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965