Seatbelt Harness bar

Technical MGB discussion
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward
MGCC Member: Yes

Seatbelt Harness bar

Post by Tom Ward »

I'm looking to use my MGBGT for trackday and sprint use and possibly some of the HRCR clubman historic road rallies as well as my local club 12 cars (and anything else I can find in between).

Eventually the plan is to fit a Safety Devices bolt in cage but to try that at this point in the year will lose lots of time I could be using the car (and I need some time to save some cash). As an interim I'm looking to fit some four point harnesses to at least make such activities a little more comfortable without being thrown out of the seat.

Looking round the register parking at Silverstone Live I saw a couple of GTs prepared for rallying with a full roll cage but the harness bar for the seatbelts appeared to be simply bolted across the back of the car between the existing belt locations where the inertia belt reel is bolted to the wheel arch.

The various websites that supply the cages show the harness bar is supplied with the cage but not as a separate item.

Does anyone know if this is exactly how the harness bar is fitted and if it can be bought? Or otherwise could be fabricated but I don't know suitable standard of material to use?

It's a 1976 Rubber bumper if that makes a difference
David Witham
Forename: David
Surname: Witham

Re: Seatbelt Harness bar

Post by David Witham »

Many cages have a harness bar welded in.

I can't tell you off the top of my head what spec of material to use for a DIY bar but if you look in the MSA Blue Book, which can be viewed on their website, you will find the materials specification for roll cages. That should do the job.

You will some multi point harnesses bolted to tabs on the tube and others looped around the tube. I would follow the looped around approach in the DIY case so your welding does not create any mid point weakness. Welding a tab on the end of the tube so it can be attached to the original mounting points should not cause a problem.
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Re: Seatbelt Harness bar

Post by Tom Ward »

Yeah, the safety devices cage for the MGBGT comes with it's own harness bar. This was an interim before a cage goes in.

I've since discovered that a Safety Devices universal door bar can be used for the purpose (once cut to length and the end tab cross bolted back in) and it comes with it's own tabs. Should be stronger than a DIY job. I can get my works fabricator to cut to length.

Thanks for the reply.