PREPARATION FOR SPRING RUN - Poor Starting

Technical MGB discussion
Graham Dix
Forename: Graham
Surname: Dix

PREPARATION FOR SPRING RUN - Poor Starting

Post by Graham Dix »

There are many reasons for poor starting, this is just one issue I have just come across whilst preparing LAF717F for this year’s Spring Run. On turning the key she turned over readily but only fired once upon releasing the key. This happened six or seven times before finally starting up.
The batteries were fully charged and over 12 volts was apparent across the battery terminals. I checked the fuse box for voltage levels and noted that the constant fed fuse circuit was also over 12 volts but the ignition live circuit only displayed 11 volts. From past experience I know that an MGB is almost impossible to start if only 10 volts is available so this loss of one volt was the likely cause of the poor starting. The ignition live circuit could have a number of issues causing the volt drop but I noted that on this occasion when the white wire from the fuse box to coil was disconnected the voltage returned to just over 12 volts. Similarly when the coil to distributor wire was disconnected over 12 volts was displayed. From this it was clear that the problem was related to the contents of the distributor. I replaced the condenser and rechecked. The voltage was back to 12 volts. LAF717F started on first turn….RESULT. Do you have a poor starting problem or solution others can help with?
Regards
Graham Dix
Chairman and Technical Advisor