Technical MGB discussion
derek boghurst
Forename: derek
Surname: boghurst
MGOC Member: Yes

buy and fit sun roof

Post by derek boghurst »

Hi,

My 1977 MB GT just lacks a sun roof, looking to either buy and fit myself? Or any ideas where is the best place to get one fitted.

Derek
Graham Wilkins
Forename: Graham
Surname: Wilkins
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: buy and fit sun roof

Post by Graham Wilkins »

Hi Derek, Just noticed your posting about supplying/fitting a sunroof to a BGT. It is getting difficult to find companies to do this now days. There is only one company that I would recommend and they are located down here in the South East. Peter harvey Sunroofs,
1, Stonar Gardens, Sandwich, Kent, CT13 9LJ. Tel: 01304 614412 or 07956 292376 Email: peterharveysunroofs@tiscali.co.uk.
He only fits genuine Webaso roofs and it is not a cheap operation as the Webasto is a very different animal to the Britax or Weathershield and are built around an ash frame to make a very robust roof. He may be able to advise you further, I'm sure. Good luck.
Dave Linkson
Forename: Dave
Surname: Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

http://www.thetrimmingcentre.co.uk in Lewes East Sussex

Surrey sunroofs in Dorking

R&S Coachbuilts for supply in Sandwich Kent
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Fitting a sun roof is easy!!!
Amongst my friends, several besides being MG enthusiasts, also used to work for Citroen UK. An option for UK Customers was a glass sunroof. This was a dealer fitted option and at the Slough UK Headquarters, they ran a training course for staff to be able to do this. There were two templates, one to cut the appropriately sized hole in the headlining, which used the overall dimensions of the sun roof, and the second was a template for cutting the hole. Both looked similar. On one course attended by these friends of mine (all the jokers together???), they arrived at the point where everyone had stuck down the templates for cutting the hole in the roof (just a panel I hasten to add, not a customer’s car!), when it was tea time. Someone whipped off the template for cutting the hole on one of their mate’s roof and replaced it with the headlining template! Back from tea, they all set about cutting the holes and fitting the sunroofs except for one who found his sunroof just fell through the hole!!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965