Technical MGB discussion
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward
MGCC Member: Yes

GT rear screen rubber

Post by Tom Ward »

Hi all,

I've been suffering with a leak through the rear windscreen for some years and have decided it's about time to do something about it.

The leak appears to come in through the rubber in the rear screen at the point the heater cables come through. The rubber is original and after 40 years is definitely rather hard and perished. I've purchased a new one but haven't been brave enough until now to replace it. As winter is approaching and the car is laid up for a few months it seems a good time to have a go. I'm quite mechanically minded and have modified/repaired/improved almost every element of the mechanics but I've never done bodywork before.

It seems a relatively straightforward case of peeling back the rubber in which the screen is sandwiched and carefully lift the glass out. Obviously that is over simplifying! Is there anything I should be wary of or any special tools that may be required or would make life easier?
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: GT rear screen rubber

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Tom,
This previous thread might help you:
http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=4&t=150

It includes the instructions from a BMC workshop manual, and shows the special tool needed. These are widely available for example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini- ... 2ca270077e

but getting all the adaptors is harder.
When 'Wheeler Dealers' did a B GT, Ed China cut through the old rubbers in order to remove the screens, and he got an windscreen fitter in to refit the screens. Cost about £100 if I remember the programme correctly.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Re: GT rear screen rubber

Post by Tom Ward »

Well that was a fun few hours on Saturday morning (and the Saturday before that)!

The screen is back in and I've got the filler in using the special tool. 'All' that's left now is the new chrome finishing trim which is arriving this week.