Remyd
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Overdrive cutting off

Post by Remyd »

I've got a MGB GT 4 syncro with o/d.
I went for a drive today doing 60 miles on 4th gear, flicked the switch on the o/d came on fine then switched of a short time after kicking in.
Nothing was happening when I tried to switch it on and of again. Would it be a faulty switch or the a problem with the o/d itself?
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Re: Overdrive cutting off

Post by Vic Butler »

First, check the oil level in the gearbox. A low level.csn cause overdrive engagement problems. If that's ok remove the switch and with it switched on, check for battery voltage on both terminals.
If that's ok the next item is the overdrive solenoid which is accessible from underneath the car. It should click when energised.
At least it doesn't stay engaged. Reversing with overdrive engaged destroys the uni directional clutch.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Remyd

Post by Remyd »

I checked the oil the other day and seems ok, I’ll check the switch next time I’ll be in the garage. Thanks for th info!
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi
I had a problem with my overdrive dropping in and out. Turned out to be a corroded bullet connector in the harness below the fuse box. The overdrive wiring is the Yellow and yellow/red wire. Pull the bullets apart and clean with wire wool /emery paper.
Mike Barclay
Remyd

Post by Remyd »

Thanks, Mike, I’ll look at that too.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Does it come in if you pull the gear stick towards you ? If so then its the inhibitor switch on the gearbox which stops you engaging when in 1st and 2nd. You might have to take out a fibre washer from underneath it. Difficult but do-able. You might have to drop the cross member. Most problems with the overdrive are electrical thankfully.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Remyd

Post by Remyd »

Hi Paul,

I don't know as I only used it in fourth gear but will have to try that if all else fail!
Paul Hollingworth wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:30 pm Does it come in if you pull the gear stick towards you ? If so then its the inhibitor switch on the gearbox which stops you engaging when in 1st and 2nd. You might have to take out a fibre washer from underneath it. Difficult but do-able. You might have to drop the cross member. Most problems with the overdrive are electrical thankfully.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT