Steering UJ

Technical MGB discussion
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Steering UJ

Post by Bumpa »

Does a tiny amount of play in the steering universal joint mean an MOT failure? It's about 7mm play measured at the rim of the steering wheel. It's definitely play in the joint itself. I got my good lady to wiggle the wheel gently while I watched the joint.

There seems to be a large difference in the price of these items, from about £12 to £35. I've had a couple over the years and they never seem to last more than 4 or 5 years - cheap manufacture I suspect. Andy Jennings can sell a "remanufactured" item, which he describes as "checked for tolerance and painted black" but that's probably no better than a new one.

But how much play is acceptable? I remember my Dad's Austin Somerset with a complex steering box and many jointed system that always had about 2 inches play at the steering wheel!
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: Steering UJ

Post by Ian F »

Hi Mike

I always thought it was about a half inch play which was acceptable (about 12mm?).

I would swap it myself though if there is any free play. Is it the splines or the UK?

I have to say that I have never had to replace mine through wear, although I did put a new one on when I fixed the steering column.
Can the UJ be replaced. As on the prop shaft? That might be the way to go.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Issug987
Surname: B

Post by Issug987 »

I replaced mine with a good quality item from Rally Design..

https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_i ... s_id=22110

I've used these before and found them to be excellent, before fitting you have to make sure that the two columns are perfectly in alignment, there is a tool to do this that fits over the splines and you adjust to match up the two 'points' on the tool before fitting the UJ, otherwise it will make the steering heavy and wear out the UJ.
Issug987

Post by Issug987 »

Just had a look in the garage to see if I could find the tool to take a photo of it, but it must be 'filed '
Anyway, found loads on Google...

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/sca.htm
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

Thanks guys. Ian, it is definitely the UJ itself. The clamps are tight on the splines. On my V8 conversion access to the UJ is tricky as it is underneath the RH exhaust manifold. I can just get spanners on the top clamp bolt, but will need to unbolt the rack from the crossmember to lower the shaft enough to get spanners on the bottom clamp, working through the gap between numbers 6 and 8 exhaust pipes.

Mike B, thanks for that link to the Rally Design UJ. I might well get one of those as it looks a much better item than the normal MGB one and isn't expensive. I don't have to worry about alignment as my conversion sports a second UJ right down near the rack so can compensate for alignment issues. The lower UJ is from Flaming River in the USA and is a beautifully made item which has never given me any bother over the 15 years I have driven the car.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

Mike B, how did you use the steering UJ you flagged in your link? It wouldn't fit my MGB. The UJ on my car is 3.25 inches long (82.5mm) with 2.5 inches between bolt centres (63.5mm). The number of splines is 48. This is the rubber bumper and V8 type, part number GLR3084.

The Rally Design coupling in your link is 98mm long with 78mm between bolt centres, and the bore is 9/16 inch with 36 splines. I can't find another one on their website.
Mike
Issug987

Post by Issug987 »

I got the coupling at the Rally Design stand at the Racing Car show at the NEC, not 'actually ' of the web site, suggest you give them a call, I actually got 2 and fitted one to a TR6, sure they were both the same too.
Randy Forbes
Forename: Randy
Surname: Forbes

Post by Randy Forbes »

Does anyone know of a source for just the universal joint itself, as in the "X" part, separate from the two (2) yokes?

I can see that it's a Hardy-Spicer joint, but know nothing about a replacement, other than the $140.00 USD (REALLY, $140?) Moss replacement that looks like the > '75 and later type. https://mossmotors.com/263-090-coupling-joint-assembly

Mine is a 1967 MGB GT restoration project, and I'd prefer to refurbish as many parts as I can, versus total replacement (the car was VERY ORIGINAL, and VERY RUSTY__currently dealing with the rusty part first...).

Picture for proof of project; the front clip (frame rails & inner fender assembly) from the rusty donor had just been attached to the relatively rust-free body tub from the Arizona desert. Still miles to go...

Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Both Moss and Rimmer sell just the UJ. Part No GUJ200
Mike Barclay
Randy Forbes
Forename: Randy
Surname: Forbes

Post by Randy Forbes »

Michael Barclay wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:59 pm Both Moss and Rimmer sell just the UJ. Part No GUJ200
Mike Barclay
Thank you, I completely overlooked it__just like when I can't find the tool I just set down in the shop...

Moss # for the good one 263-265
Spicer Italcardano # 050910000 (2.046" x .750" cap dia)