Rear axel swop.

Technical MGB discussion
Rommel
Forename: Tony
Surname: Bave

Rear axel swop.

Post by Rommel »

I have a earl B with the banjo axel which is now getting tired and wondered if it would be a straight swop to fit a tube axel?? did a bit of research and it seems the prop and springs are the same, well at least the part numbers are has any done this and is it straight forward I know brake pipes might need
re-routing. The body shell is a heritage GHN4

Thanks in advance.
Issug987
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: Rear axel swop.

Post by Issug987 »

Have you sourced a replacement tube axle yet?

I noticed that mine was 'offset' in that one spring hanger was say 5.5inch from the flange, the other side was 5.25inch....I thought mine was a bit duff, so at an auto jumble I fond a seller with about 8 of them, all where different and not even. I can only assume that during manufacture this was not too important. I ended up taking off the spring hangers are fitting new ones that where correctly spaced and even.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Rear axel swop.

Post by Ian F »

There is a huge amount of debate and discussion in the MGB literature about the apparent differences in offset of the rear axles in relation to the bodywork. My BGT has a difference of circa 0.5 inches between rear wheel arch and tyre on each side.
However, the crucial dimensions are whether the front and rear wheels are aligned correctly, regardless of how it looks in relation to the bodywork. This can be determined fairly easily on a flat floor using the dimensions given in the workshop manual.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear