12-Volt Batteries

Technical MGB discussion
Andrew Robson
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Robson
MGCC Member: Yes

12-Volt Batteries

Post by Andrew Robson »

Hello all. I have a query relating to a suitable battery to use on a standard MGB GT. Mine is a 1968 Mk2 model and has already been converted from two 6v batteries to one large 12v item. I would like to fit plastic battery bins to my car, but obviously the existing 12v battery won't fit, so I've been looking at the possibility of obtaining a 12v battery of a size similar to that of a 6v item. I have now ascertained that Moss Europe sell a small 12v battery originally developed for the MX-5. Moss tell me that this is a sealed 'gel' battery, and can apparently be installed on its side, or even upside down if required! The dimensions of this battery are close to those of an MGB 6v item and should therefore fit a battery bin. However, where most 12v batteries seem to be rated at around 50A/h, this battery is rated at only 31A/h. On the other hand, the Cold Cranking Amp figure is around 425 which, I'm told, is higher than is required to start an MGB engine. Can anyone offer any advice on this before I go ahead and buy one? Also, could I have any electrical problems, for example with the alternator charging this battery?
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Re: 12-Volt Batteries

Post by George Wilder »

Andrew

Fitted one of these ( see link below) in my 65 B about 4 years ago still working well charged with a dynamo too!

Many others have gone down this route successfully

Same size as a single 6 volt - does not need a battery box as it a good place for battery in B - kept cool.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/B36-Varta-Blue- ... P9038.html

Much cheaper than a gel battery.

George

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Andrew Robson
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Robson

Re: 12-Volt Batteries

Post by Andrew Robson »

Many thanks for that info., George. Amazingly, the car already has a Varta battery similar to this, but I'd prefer to install the battery bins, although you are are correct - the gel battery prices are a bit steep. Cheers.