MGB GT Restoration

General MGB discussion
Andrew Robson
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Robson
MGCC Member: Yes

MGB GT Restoration

Post by Andrew Robson »

Guys & gals - I live in the south-west Birmingham area, near Bromsgrove, and have recently become the owner of a 1968 BGT which requires some TLC. The mechanical components are good but the bodywork is tired, and the underside may require some attention. The interior needs retrimming but I hope to sort that out myself. I can't deal with paintwork, though, nor the various panel areas that will require treatment, so was wondering if any fellow members out there could recommend a company or a one-man band that might be able to deal with those aspects for me as a partial restoration, preferably where there is previous favourable experience of that company. I realise that I could go to a company like Leacy Classics, but I don't have a bottomless pocket so value for money would be ideal. Thanks in advance. Andy.R
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: MGB GT Restoration

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Andy, and welcome to the Forum.
For your paintwork I can recommend Martyn Baker, 15A Raleigh Hall Industrial Estate, Eccleshall, Stafford ST21 6JL. Tel: 01785 859040. He has done the front of our MR2 and the new wing on the MGB. Both cars are red and the colour match is excellent. He has a good reputation locally, and does a lot of work for Don Law Racing who look after the XJ220s. They also have restoration facilities but I haven't experienced that side of their service. It's a small operation and prices are very reasonable. A bit north of where you live but only a few miles off the M6 Junction 14.

All the body panels are available from the main suppliers, and come in 2 standards - aftermarket and restoration. The aftermarket panels are from Steelcraft and are the cheaper but are mainly repair panels, whilst the restoration panels are from Heritage. Heritage themselves sell both as well.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965