Lopsided front bumper

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Lopsided front bumper

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Looked at the front end of my 73 BGT and something didn’t look quite right. The near side end looked lower than the other by about 1/2 inch. Are the bumpers or mounting brackets adjustable in any way to enable me to get the bumper horizontal . Geoff
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Lopsided front bumper

Post by Vic Butler »

First check the car isn't leaning to the right. Compare the distance between the top of the wheel and wheelarch on both sides.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

If the car was down on the rhs it would be unlikely that bumper was down on the lhs. Also the gap between the underside of the side light and the bumper is smaller on the rhs (offside) than the lhs
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Geoff.
The end bolt if loosened should be able to accommodate that degree of movement. If you are unable to flex the end, you will need to loosen more bolts. As a last resort the brackets can be adjusted by brute force to get them matched up.
A jack under the bumper will help pushing it up into position.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Geoff.
The end bolt if loosened should be able to accommodate that degree of movement. If you are unable to flex the end, you will need to loosen more bolts. As a last resort the brackets can be adjusted by brute force to get them matched up.
A jack under the bumper will help pushing it up into position.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

I've just fitted new bumpers - here's a photograph of the front bumper mounts. I don't think there's any designed-in provision for adjustment, but if you loosened all the bolts and lifted and lowered the two ends respectively as far as you can, you might just about achieve the kind of change you want.

Make sure you can see what you're doing if you use a jack/brute force. It would be a shame to bend your bodywork.

Good luck!

Allan
Attachments
IMG_5816.jpg
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Thanks for your input. I am satisfied that the car is level ie I can get 3 fingers between the tyre and wheel arch on both sides, both tyres are nearly new and have 28 psi in them. I am now not ignorant of what to do so it’s down to brute force . Wish me luck.
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

Before applying brute-force, why not loosen all the mounting bolts and see if you can raise/lower the appropriate ends within the 'rattle room' available?

You might well find it's enough.

Good luck!
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Problem solved. Removed bumper and measured the height of the main bracket holes to the floor. The inboard ones were the same but the outer ones were 20 mm different. Satisfied that the car is level tweaked the ends of the brackets with a length of scaffolding tube until they all were the same height.Result! Bumper now level.On my car the lower front apron panel has been removed and an “air dam” type panel fitted. As a result the previous owner could not or did not fit the 2 end brackets but the bumper seems solid enough without them so that’s how it’s going to stay.