Re: Won’t start

Post by GeoffK »

The car was first registered September 1973
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Post by GeoffK »

The cables are the clamp type which I have cleaned with emery and the Vaseline is ready and waiting for the battery to be fully charged. I have made a really good earth for the negative cable. The use of Vaseline takes me back to the early 1970s when working at Longbridge I was responsible for writing all the work instructions (process sheets they were called) for the assembly of the Mini from the painted body shell through to roller test and I remember writing the sheet applying Vaseline to the battery terminals with a paint brush.Happy days. Geoff
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

That's a good evocation of life at Longbridge Geoff, thanks for that. If only life was like that now☹️!

Never use grease by the way (I'm sure you know that Geoff) as I believe it is an insulator whereas vaseline appears to let those electrons through.......

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Post by GeoffK »

Vroom!Vroom! Firing on all four. I suspect that the main culprit was the battery. It has been on charge for 4 hours and still not fully charged. Also a better battery earth also couldn’t have done any harm. Now have to work out why a new recently changed battery is losing its charge so quickly. Thanks for your advice. Geoff
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

Excellent 😃😃!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Statler
Forename: Stephen
Surname: McClune

Post by Statler »

Well done, and good luck with that Geoff!

I've a '76 Citroen HY van that sits permanently on a C-Tek conditioner because of an untraceable current leak.
There are very few circuits in the van, but still the electrons seem to find a way to leave.