Tailgate springs

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Tailgate springs

Post by GeoffK »

Hi. Does anyone know if the coiled spring in the middle of the tailgate hinge/support of a GT are adjustable or can be re-tensioned to act as originally intended ? Currently my tailgate slams shut as the springs offer no resistance to movement. Luckily the hinges hold the tailgate open without the need for a prop but as soon as I start to close the tailgate, gravity takes over and tailgate slams shut unless I control it.
Dave Wheatley
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley

Re: Tailgate springs

Post by Dave Wheatley »

My GT tailgate locks when fully opened, and needs a hefty pull down to close. I don't think the springs are involved in this (on mine anyway).
1978 MGB GT
1967 Morris Minor convertible
1972 Ford Cortina
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
No modern!
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

I have always found (since 1978!) that the tailgate on my BGT moves with some force into the open and the closed position. I did fit new springs some time ago as the plastic covers were damaged, but it made no difference to the operation.

They are not adjustable but it is possible to fit them upside down. In some early illustrations they can be seen fitted incorrectly. I don't think it makes much difference to the operation though?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Bumpa »

Geoff, I think your description of the action of the GT hatch supports is how they have always been. Certainly on my car they hold the hatch up really well and need a firm shove downwards to start to close it, but once it is on the way down the springs do nothing and the weight of the lid takes over. I'm not even sure they assist in lifting the lid - they just seem to hold it up once it is raised. Gas struts are available from the usual MGB suppliers.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Post by GeoffK »

Bumps. Your car exhibits exactly the same features as mine. Seems as if I will have to live with it. Thanks