Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: MOT Exemption.

Post by Charles Farran »

Vic,
A further update.
I checked up on the DVLA site last night with my car's registration pending return of an updated V5. It shows that it is taxed for the year commencing 1 April 2021 & that "No Results Returned " in respect of MOT as per your last post on 3 April.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Liskeard BLE
Forename: Nigel
Surname: Stead

Post by Liskeard BLE »

I've just been to the post office to register my MGB LE as "Historic" armed with the correct documentation including my certified copy of the factory record from the BMIHT
I walked away a deflated man!!!!
The problem is my car was stored for 5 years before being registered. The post office clerk can only go by date of first registration 15/11/1985.
The car was built 12/09/1980 and dispatched to the dealer on 21/11/1980.
The polite lady explained that the "system" does not allow them to make alterations. Can anyone point me in the correct direction of where to go now please.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

The clerk is wrong. The relevant date is the date of manufacture and a full Heritage certificate is acceptable.
However, does the car DVLA records show the date of manufacture? When I updated my BGT, which was registered in February 1978, but manufactured in October 77, I sent a Heritage certificate to DVLA well in advance in the July preceding the 1st April when it would be eligible. DVLA amended their records so when 9 months later I taxed it as historic, it was a couple of minutes with no problems. The clerk took the section of the V5 relating to tax class change, have me a receipt for nil tax paid and when I checked the DVLA records a few days later it was shown as taxed until April 1st 2019.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Liskeard BLE
Forename: Nigel
Surname: Stead

Post by Liskeard BLE »

Just been on the Virtual assistant at DVLA as the phone lines are useless.
The records show date of manufacture as 15/11/1985. This would make my MGB the very last out of Abingdon. I guess they brought a lot of men and women back to make it!!! some 1,868 days after the factory closed the gates.
I have to send my certified factory record into DVLA to amend the records and issue the correct historic V5C
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

As the MOT No Results Returned is on a green background it's ok. If the.vehicle required an MOT but didn't have one, it's always a red background, even if the vehicle is on SORN..
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine