Wipers not parking

Technical MGB discussion
AndyC
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Cooper
MGCC Member: Yes

Wipers not parking

Post by AndyC »

Problem with the wipers. Originally they were working on one speed and not parking. After replacing the dashboard switch, the parking switch and also the three contacts within the motor it all stopped working! Found out this was due to a blown fuse and after the installation of a new motor I now have two speed wipers but they are still not parking. As the new motor has a new parking switch and this is the second new one, I would think it's reasonable to assume the switch is not faulty. So what could it be? Thanks in advance.
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Re: Wipers not parking

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Andy
Check the 12volt feed to the wiper motor. This is connected to the park switch inside the wiper motor. When the normal wiper switch is turned off this keeps power to the motor until the wipers park and the park switch contacts open. Pull off the plug from the wiper motor and with the ignition turned on, measure the voltage on the pin of the Green /pink wire. It should be 12 volts. I suspect you will read 0 volts. You don’t say what year your car is but if it is one with the dash air vents then removing these will give you access to the wiper switch. Alternatively tease out the switch from the dash board. Locate the green /pink wire on the switch and with the ignition on measure the voltage between here and ground. You should measure 12 volts. I suspect this will be correct as this is the main supply to the wiper motor and yours work but does not park.
The next bit is the trickiest. Under the dash somewhere in the location above the steering column you should find a double bullet connector with 4 x green /pink wires .These are as follows.
One comes from the ignition switch via the in line fuse below the main fuse box.
One connects to the wiper switch, one to the heater blower switch and the last to the wiper motor plug. I suspect you problem is the one to the wiper motor has either come out of the bullet connector or is making poor contact.
Hope this helps
Mike Barclay
AndyC
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Cooper

Post by AndyC »

Mike, Many thanks for your reply. The car is a 72 Lreg with 70/71 wiring. I used your alternative method as this seemed easier to access. Using a circuit tester there is power on the Green/Pink at the dashboard switch. Locating the double bullet connector, the connection to the wiper motor did appear weak and on removing the bullet connector the metal contact inside di-sintergrated. I thought we are on to something here, so with a new bullet connector and snug fit on the connection to the wiper motor, nothing changed. Still got both speeds but not parking correctly. Are we back to the parking switch being at fault?
Regards
Andrew
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Andy
A little frustrating but I think you are making progress. I suggest the next step is to remove the plug (Not easy) from the wiper motor and with your tester check you have 12 volts on the Green/pink pin with the ignition switched on. This is the live feed to the parking switch to keeps power to the motor when the wipers are switched until they are parked.
If you have power then reconnect the plug and remove the wiper switch from the dashboard. Remove the Brown/light green wire from the switch and connect your tester to the wire. With the ignition on and the wiper operating (Pull the blades back from the screen to avoid damage) You should expect 12 volts when the wipers are sweeping the screen and 0 volts as they pass through the normal park position.
If Yes, then the park switch is operating correctly and I would suspect the problem is with the wiper dash switch. If No, the problem is probably with either the Brown /LG wire between the motor and dash switch or the park switch itself. The latter will require striping the motor down to access the switch. The park switch contacts are the socket pins connected to the Brown/LG and Green/ pink wires. With the plunger out you should have continuity and Zero continuity with the plunger pushed in.
Hope this helps
Best regard
Mike Barclay