Parabolic leaf springs/GAZ shocks

Technical MGB discussion
Michael Dunn
Forename: Michael
Surname: Dunn
MGCC Member: Yes

Parabolic leaf springs/GAZ shocks

Post by Michael Dunn »

Recently changed to Parabolic leaf springs & GAZ shock absorbers all round .MGB c/b 1974
Shocks initially set to mid-setting, but very 'bouncy'. Tried setting harder but still a lot of movement.

Anybody changed to this spring/shock absorber configuration?
What is the setting for the shocks?
Geoff Edwards

Re: Parabolic leaf springs/GAZ shocks

Post by Geoff Edwards »

Hi Michael,

I changed to parabolic springs a while ago with Spax dampers. I currently have the dampers adjusted about 8 clicks from the lightest, which is quite soft. What is your general setup; is the front end fairly stiff? and what tyre pressure do you run at - I now use 28psi in the front and 25 at the rear. However, mine is a late rubber bumper car which has been lowered and with the rear anti-roll bar removed - I read in two different places in the same week that if a late car is lowered the A/R bar should be removed!! So my car would handle somewhat differently to yours, I would suspect and I'm not sure how Spax would compare with GAZ dampers. in any case
Regards,

Geoff
Michael Dunn

Post by Michael Dunn »

Hi Geoff

Thanks for getting back to me.

Currently running 25 psi on front tyres & 28 psi on rears.

Still in the trial period with the shocks. Have set both front & rear to 10 clicks harder from middle position.
Realize this is not any good as car oscillates at this.

Next adjustment, I will try the other end of setting of 4 clicks from softest.

As mine is a 1974 c/b roadster no anti-roll fitted at rear.
Any comments greatly appreciated

Regards
Mike

Regards
Geoff Edwards

Post by Geoff Edwards »

Hi Mike,

I personally think your tyre pressures are round the wrong way - it has always been drummed into me for an MGB that the
suspension should be hard at front, soft at the back. The original pressures were, I believe, based on crossply tyres. Having said that what was the handling of the car before fitting the new springs?

Geoff
Jim Haines
Forename: James
Surname: Haines

Post by Jim Haines »

I agree with Geoff.
Having harder tyres on the front - say 28 - is fairly common on MGB's and improves/lightens the steering to some degree.
If you have harder tyres on the rear all you are doing is 'hardening' the bounce/recoil from the tyres, let alone the springs or the shocks. I run mine at 24/5 psi, and this gives me a good degree of comfort and grip. I don't have parabolic springs but their recoil rate can't really be much different in design/load rates to conventional leaf springs, otherwise the car would be inherently unstable.
Hope this helps.
1971 MGB Roadster Automatic
Michael Dunn

Post by Michael Dunn »

HI Geoff & Jim

Thank you both for your suggestions regarding settings for shocks/tyre pressures..

Set up is now 6 clicks up from minimum on front & 4 clicks up for rear.
Also set tyre pressures 28 psi front & 25 psi for rear.

Car rides very good now, pleased with result.

Mike Dunn