Exhaust manifold nuts

Technical MGB discussion
David Witham
Forename: David
Surname: Witham
MGCC Member: Yes

Exhaust manifold nuts

Post by David Witham »

When taking the engine and gearbox out to change the speedo drive worm gear in the back of the overdrive, I found there was an exhaust manifold gasket leak. My car has a Tourist Trophy tubular stainless manifold and system.

I am careful not to tighten brass nuts too tight in case they strip and this may a have been a factor. The manifold nuts I bought new to fit the manifold last year were thicker than normal nuts but not as thick as I remember the brass manifold nuts being in he past. The number of threads in the nut will presumably have some bearing on the torque it will take before stripping.

Does anyone know of a good source of manifold nuts?
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Exhaust manifold nuts

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi David,
I have the original manifold which i removed 3 years ago to access the tappet covers. I obtained new brass nuts ref GHF261 from MGOC Spares & have had no problems with them.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
David Witham

Post by David Witham »

Since my post yesterday I have found that Spalding Fasteners have just what I was looking for. Theirs are 3/4 inch thick.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi David,
I have used Spalding Fasteners quite a bit for replacement of a lot of nuts & bolts with Stainless Steel versions for the MGB where stress is not an issue.
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

I've got MGOC brass barrel nuts on the manifold to head on my BGT. They will fit the downpipe studs on the standard cast iron manifold and interestingly the manifold to downpipe studs on my 1975 Series 3 Land Rover. Being longer than the studs, they stop corrosion on the studs and I can remove the carburettors on the inlet manifold on my BGT too.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

I too have the long MGOC brass ones. last time I put the manifold on I stripped two of them but they have been on and off a few times whilst designing supercharger. But it's a lesson learned - in future i would only reuse maybe a couple of times. When one went there was one heck of a ping that I thought the manifold flange had cracked, so was very happy when it was the nut that had failed.
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

Slightly off topic David, but is your Tourist Trophy exhaust the one sold by Moss with flanged joints? https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/exhaust-s ... 9-075.html

If it is, how do you like it? Is it noisy? The flanged joints must be a good idea in preventing leaks.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
David Witham

Post by David Witham »

It is the one sold by Moss but I have the one that comes with a matching tubular manifold.

I like the flange joints. They make taking it apart for other jobs very easy.

The system feels very strong and the modern style mountings are probably an improvement.

It was a bit noisier than I expected. However, when I removed it to take the engine and gearbox out I found I had a leak at one of the joints under the car and around 2 of the exhaust ports at the manifold to head gasket. Since putting it back together I have not had a chance to try it out properly.
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

Thanks David. I'm rebuilding a '71 roadster at the moment (when the weather is not quite so bally cold!). One of those exhausts may go on my shopping list.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.