Seat Rails Nut Stripped?

Technical MGB discussion
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Seat Rails Nut Stripped?

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

if it is stripped, tap it to M8 - metric, or if if it's too far gone could go to 3/8 or 10mm.
G
nathan_f
Forename: Nathan
Surname: F

Post by nathan_f »

Good idea. That should prevent having to drill it out more, right?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

Nathan,
you might get away without any drilling but to do the job properly you should use the specified drill size for any re-tapping of a hole. This is particularly important if you are using a DIY tapping set, which might not cut a thread as easily as a professional tap would.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
nathan_f

Post by nathan_f »

Got it, thanks!
nathan_f

Post by nathan_f »

So drilled out the bolt hole and tapped it to M8 1.25. Got the carpet, insulation, shims, and seat positioned back in the car, went to tighten down the bolts...and the bolt (which I had previously tested in the hole and appeared to be good and tight) just started spinning after I got it snug. Presumably when I tightened down the bolt, the harder steel of the bolt stripped the threads which were probably just in the soft steel of the floor board anyway. :x

Unless anyone can think of a really horrible reason not to do this, I'm going to drill down and through the crossmember and put a M8 100mm stainless bolt all the way through secured at the bottom of the crossmember with a nut and washer and then sealed with some silicone. I figure that having the bolt in place will help return at least some of the structural integrity of the crossmember that might be lost by drilling the hole into it.
Ian F
Forename: Ian

Post by Ian F »

That's very frustrating Nathan, and a great pity it didn't work out. For myself, I would be content to do as you suggest, and even make the hole large enough to fasten directly below the floor. The hole left could be sealed with a grommet.
Just check underneath to ensure there are no cables/pipes in the way.

Would be good to hear from other contributors if they agree with my position on this. I suspect they will as the BGT body shell is somewhat over-engineered and very strong.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

There are already several drain holes in the chassis members of around 8mm diameter. The same is true of the castle rail. So I wouldn't personally be too worried about making a new, larger, one.
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

you can buy M9...
G