Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Heritage certificate

Post by Paul Scott »

Nigel have you visited J.U.L.E yet?

They have a VIN decoder https://www.mgbjubilee.com/vin-decoder/

And as your MGB is a LE they may have other info regarding the car.

Although to get the Historic Tax stuff you will need a heritage certificate.

Your car must be a 1980 caras they were only produced 1962 - 1980 so you should have a good case anyway :D

Enjoy your MGB and welcome to the MGB Register

Don't forget to check out the Photo Album your car maybe on there, search by Our Register no #***** or maybe by the registration mark. I have also tried to seperate all LE & Jubilees so these can be listed by a keyword search.

Have Fun

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Liskeard BLE
Forename: Nigel
Surname: Stead

Post by Liskeard BLE »

Ian Fozzard wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:24 pm Welcome to the MGB forum, I would recommend joining MGCC (the parent body for this forum). Membership of a club gives you a discount on insurance, which is the only annual cost of running a classic!!
Would be interesting to know where your B was in the first 5 years? Perhaps on display in a dealership. You should ascertain what the build number is - it just might be a special car, one of the last for instance. Keep us informed,

Best regards

Ian F
Ian,
I'm already a member of the MGCC. I chose this over the MGOC as the CC is based in Abingdon.
I'm going to be looking into my cars history to find out any details. I will say the registration is A19 MGB, quite unique I think.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

As i understood it, before COVID a car did not require an MOT after 40 years from the date of manufacture (in my car's case 3 July 1980 per the BMIH Certificate),which would therefore have meant that from 3 July 2020 the car did not need by law to have one.(The car was registered on 8 August 1980). As my car's MOT was due in May 2020 & didn't have one due to lockdown & the extension of 6 months am i right in assuming that (unless the law changes in the meantime) i will no longer be required by law to obtain an MOT if i use my car on the road after 3 January 2021?
My current understanding with regards establishing Heritage status with DVLA is that i can apply for it after 3 July 2020, although there is no immediate hurry as the car will not be VED exempt until 1 April 2021 - is my understanding correct?
Cheers,Charles
1980 Roadster
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Charles, the MOT exemption applies only when the vehicle's taxation class is Historic. So if you don't want to have it MOT'd again, you'll have to SORN it until 1st April 2021.
You can't apply for Historic status until 1/4/21. Easily done at a post office that issues vehicle licences. I don't think you can do it on line.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I had heard that the 6 months extension is automatically applied by the DVSA/DVLA. I have just checked my MG6 which is due on 13 August and that still shows and expiry date of 13 August, but as you log onto the site (https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history) there is this message:
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
MOT extensions are being processed in date order.

So it looks like they will do it in by the 'earliest date you can mot your vehicle and keep the anniversary date'. I'll check again in a few weeks time.
This means that the MOT expiry date for your car, van or motorcycle may not yet be showing the 6 month extension.
I do know that if you mot the car during the 6 months extension and it fails, then the mot ceases at that point.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Vic & Peter,
Thanks for your responses re Hisorical status, timing & implications for MOT.
Cheers, Charles
1980 Roadster
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Peter,

As i am probably going to tax (VED) the car from 1 July, I have just checked on line with DVLA to see what my MGB says with regards MOT (which ran out in May under pre COVID regulations) & it shows it to be on SORN (which it currently is) & that the MOT due date is now 23 November 2020.

Cheers,Charles
1980 Roadster
Petetrin
Forename: Peter
Surname: Kelly

Post by Petetrin »

How and why does one go about getting a Heritage certificate?
Regards
Peter
Steven collins
Forename: Steve
Surname: Collins

Post by Steven collins »

Peter,
A heritage certificate is basically your cars birth certificate.
It shows all the build details, ie what wheels are fitted, extras fitted, chassis number, when built, etc etc
You can apply for one through the British motor museum £43 + pp
Petetrin
Forename: Peter
Surname: Kelly

Post by Petetrin »

Excellent, thank you
Peter