GT tailgate lamp

Technical MGB discussion
Andrew Stacey
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Stacey
MGCC Member: Yes

GT tailgate lamp

Post by Andrew Stacey »

Hello, my car is a 67 so did not have this lamp from new. I have purchased the complete lamp, and would like some advice on how to wire it in please.
I presume the later offside 'C' pillar wires, which on later models powered it, aren't there, so I shall be using new wire and finding an existing power feed. Looking at the switch, does it just require power to the r/h side, as viewed from the rear, with the earth being completed by the screw to the body through the copper connecting plate on the far l/h side of the bulb holder, or is an earth wire required to the other direct side of the bulb holder as well ? The unit came from Moss, but I presume they're all the same.
Many thanks.
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Re: GT tailgate lamp

Post by Tom Brearley »

Here's a picture of mine.

It appears to earth through either the attaching screws or the tailgate switch. There's no separate earth wire.
Attachments
Rear courtesy light.jpg
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Tom Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

In fact, looking at the picture it seems that in the position shown it earths through the PW wire which connects to the tailgate switch (i.e. it only comes on when the tailgate is open and an earth path is offered). But with the little switch in the other position it earths through the fixing screw via the copper track shown (i.e. the light is always on).
1973 MGB GT
Tom Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

Ha censorship! Screw that.
1973 MGB GT
Andrew Stacey
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Stacey

Post by Andrew Stacey »

Thanks Tom. I would think, as you say, that mine will only need the one pair of wires, and earth through the attachment screw to the body, as it never had the door switch. I'm always wary of entering into the unknown world of car electrics as it's so easy to blow things up !!
All the best
Andrew.