Technical MGB discussion
Steven collins
Forename: Steve
Surname: Collins
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Exhaust removal suggestions

Post by Steven collins »

I have removed the manifold exhaust studs and separated the bomb box and rear section in readiness to remove the exhaust prior to lifting out engine and gearbox, however, I have come across a problem - I cannot get the manifold and pipe out from the car!! They are in one piece up to the “bomb” box and cannot see how I can remove it through the engine bay.
Any suggestions (sensible only please) would be gratefully received.
S
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Re: Exhaust removal suggestions

Post by Tom Brearley »

When you say 'manifold' do you mean the cast iron one attached to the block, or the twin exhaust pipes which come up to meet it under the carbs?
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

Hi Tom,
It’s the pipes, they are a one piece (sports exhaust I believe) that goes pretty much to the middle of the underside of the car!
I was wondering, if I cannot get the exhaust out could I still lift the engine/gearbox out?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Steven,. I'm sure that several contributors to this forum will have this setup, so you will get some definitive answers.
I am pretty sure that this lot should come out (and be installed) from the top. Have you taken the carbs off? If not then that may make a difference. Additionally, of you raise the front of the car this may give enough space underneath to allow the pipes to be drawn up and out.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Steven
It needs to come out from underneath the car. If you haven't done so you need to remove the twin front pipes from the cast iron manifold. There are 6 studs threaded into the cast iron manifold and you need a long socket extension to reach the back ones.It will be easier to jack the front of the car up quite high - about 2 feet - and you will be able to get to all the nuts holding the front pipes onto the manifold, then you should find the front part of the exhaust will drop down enough to take out from underneath the car with a bit of wriggling. You might just about get away with leaving the pipes in situ, but not attached to anything. With the radiator out of the way you should be able to pull the pipes forward far enough to get engine and gearbox out.
Also if you are taking the engine and gearbox out together read this thread about the gearbox crossmember first:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=795
You can take the engine out by itself but some of the bellhousing bolts are very difficult to get to especially when it comes to getting them back in!
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

2ft - aarggh that means I will have to jack it up even more!!
I have already removed the 6 nuts holding the pipes to the manifold so all loose.
As for the gearbox cross member and tie rod that has been removed and the gearbox at the moment is being supported by another jack, it was fairly easy to dismantle which generally means it will be a pig to put back!!😁
S.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Steven
2 feet might be too high, but it has to be high enough to get the pipes to drop down enough to clear the chassis rails. You can angle them a bit though that allows them to clear.
If you haven't marked the relative positions of the parts of the gearbox crossmember, you will have a fair bit of heartache getting it reassembled.
Depending on the type of crossmember there are 16 different ways to assemble it (for cars 3 synchro cars) and 32 ways for 4 synchro cars! Also you can't do it away from the car as the length between the front engine mounts and the gearbox crossmember mounts is critical, otherwise you put too much twisting load into the rubber blocks and the fail quickly.
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

Thanks Pete,
The cross member position has been duly marked, photographed and checked again before removal.
Will have a go removing the exhaust system tomorrow.
Hopefully get that out then I can remove the engine/gearbox.
S
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

Well, eventually I pulled the engine/gearbox out whilst the exhaust was still in situ, all came out very easy although to be fair I did have an extra pair of hands 🤗
Exhaust eventually came apart with the aid of heat and some — Err shall we say “persuasion”!!
Now to get on with the real work on the engine and gearbox.
S