New Soft top

Technical MGB discussion
Robert Newlove
Forename: Robert
Surname: Newlove
MGCC Member: Yes

New Soft top

Post by Robert Newlove »

I am thinking of investing in a new soft top, I am looking at one with headrail attached, as I don't fancy trying to glue a new one onto a header rail. Do the ones with headrail included fit ok, any recommended suppliers, do I go for a mohair, or stick to vinyl. I have a 1968 registered B, but has folding black frame which in theory is on later models, is there much difference in the later model soft top
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Re: New Soft top

Post by George Wilder »

Robert
According to Clausager ( Original MGB book recommended for all ) both types - packaway and folding hoods were available up to 1970 when the packaway was discontinued.
It could be assumed you car had a folding hood from new - extra cost! The BMIHT certificate will confirm this. The folding hood frame was changed in 1963 but this should be discounted. It was changed again in August 1970 from car 219001.

Assuming your car had the folding hood from new you should be able to determine which hood you need.

Afraid can't advise on maker of hoods my rarely used packaway was with the car when I brought it 30 years ago and is still very serviceable

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

Robert. Like George mine is a pack away. You have not filled in your location , but I know that Don Hoods in Birmingham do fit a good hood Tel 01213731313 www.donhoods.com. See page 84 of January Safety Fast.
Let us know how you get on
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Robert Newlove
Forename: Robert
Surname: Newlove

Post by Robert Newlove »

I eventually purchased two new hoods with header bar from Moss(they had a January sale) They seem good quality and a lot easier to fit then I thought. It took a day or two before I could get all the lift the dot fittings to fit,but all seems ok now. The other hood was put on my friends car and it fitted on in one go, a perfect fit.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

John Watson wrote:
> Robert. Like George mine is a pack away. You have not filled in your
> location , but I know that Don Hoods in Birmingham do fit a good hood Tel
> 01213731313 http://www.donhoods.com. See page 84 of January Safety Fast.
> Let us know how you get on

I had a Don (Trimming) tonneau fitted to my MG TD in 1967 when the operated out of some ramshackle sheds in Cambridge Street, Birmingham (behind the Birmingham Repertory Theatre). They must be doing something right!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
John Kelly
Forename: John
Surname: Kelly
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Kelly »

I bought a new hood with the header rail attached, also replaced the frame as mine was very badly worn. Fitted it in about 1/2 hour. It was VERY tight at first, left it up in the garage for a few days and now it is much better! :-)
i got mine in cloth from MG Bhive. Really pleased with it, although I don't use it very often, it looks much better after the interior was retrimmed. BTW, if anyone gets the chance fit heated seats when you rebuild them - best thing ever!