engine colour

Technical MGB discussion
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: engine colour

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Hi Tom - we cant tell from the picture whether its an 18G engine or the 18V which came in at the end of 72. It certainly looks identical to mine in every feature including the disposable cartridge oil filter. I've just spoken to my friend Brian (Pete knows him) who has owned his 1970 B for 40 years and he says it too had a disposable cartridge when he acquired it.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

Paul, my 2 parts lists are genuine factory BMC ones issued to dealers not some cobbled together cheapos from the internet. 18V engines appeared from car 258001 in about 1971 and they had the spin on filter and were painted black. The inverted replaceable element filter was introduced for 18GD engines and ran to the end of the G series.
It was easy to convert to a spin on filter which I did on the 18GB engine in my previous BGT as the parts were available through dealers.
If I'm proved wrong I'll take it on the chin.
The other parts list I have is for late rubber bumper B's only.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

I can't resist throwing in a couple more facts (derived from looking at engines) just for the fun of it!

# My original 18v engine in my 72 BGT has "1800" clearly visible on the block, and has the plate covering the mechanical fuel pump hole.

#My spare 18GB engine (referred to earlier) has "1800" on the block also, and no aperture for the mechanical fuel pump (of course).

So a little discrepancy over what has been said earlier in this thread (which could go on for ever!)

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

I've found a Moss parts list. The inverted spin on filter is shown as being fitted to 18GH (US spec) and 18V engines. Therefore it was not fitted to UK spec 18G engines.
I suspect the 18GH is basically the same as the early 18V
Last edited by Vic Butler on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Guys
Just to add my input. I have a 74 B (owned for 41 years) with an 18V582 engine. Original, never been painted etc. The block is black but would say more a satin rather than matt. Rocker cover is gloss.I Guess any paint would have to be High temp type.
Best Regards
Mike Barclay
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I don't know if we can ever settle the disagreement about the oil filter, either Vic or myself could be right. Obviously there is a discrepancy in the information coming from the factory. I wonder if the information from the parts suppliers is based on what they are seeing in the field. This is what Moss say - ambiguous or what. My engine is a 1971 18GG. According to my 1970 factory manual 18GF, 18GH, 18GK are covered in supplement AKD7957 which I don't have, but it suggests that they have emission control equipment which I don't have either.
Attachments
B oil filter 2.jpg
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Per Clausager, 18GF, GH & GK engines were to North American spec. 18GJ was specifically Californian spec where emission regulations were stricter.
For some strange reason there's not an 18GE series.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

This seems to have strayed quite a long way from the question that Mario originally asked, which was what colour should the engine in his 1972 B be painted. Along the way many MGBs will have had engine changes usually when a replacement has been bought from a re-conditioner or second hand. It would therefore seem to me to be unlikely that an engine can be positively identified by the oil filter it has fitted. My own roadster now has the inverted canister type fitted to the engine. Why - because the replaceable cartridge filter drains down over a period of time so when the engine is started on choke it runs at a fast idle with now oil pressure for (quite) a few seconds. The canister type have a non return valve (if you buy the correct one) and now I have nearly instant fuel pressure on start up even after the winter lay off.
Unless the car is concours contender, I'm not sure (or a fan of) that absolute detail is that important. Practicality is more important. I would say to Mario, (to quote the 'Stones') Paint it Black! Use the correct Black paint which I said above is available from Moss (or B&G) and if Mario wants a really nice finish give it two coats of brushed on paint and then a coat of aerosol sprayed.
My engine (seen here during the build) is now mostly painted the correct MG Maroon with some details in crackle black to hide dents and rust patches. The fan is sprayed with brake caliper yellow which is very hard wearing.
[attachment=0]New enigine 2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
New enigine 2.jpg
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

I converted the oil filter on the 18GB engine of my previous BGT simply to make oil filter replacement much easier.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Mario60
Forename: Mario
Surname: Sciriha

Post by Mario60 »

Hi all
Many thanks for your input. Apart that you always answer my questions and help me maintain my B, you really amaze me how knowledgable you are om MGs
Again many thanks

Mario
Mario Sciriha
1972 MGB roadster
1971 MGB GT (for restoration)
1979 Honda CB650Z
1975 Kawasaki S1C 250
1974 Suzuki GT380
1979 Suzuki TS125