Convertible Hood replacement

Technical MGB discussion
David Ramsbotham
Forename: David
Surname: Ramsbotham

Convertible Hood replacement

Post by David Ramsbotham »

Having leads on overdrive servicing, and windscreen replacement, my thoughts now turn to hood replacement.
The hood on my 1976 car is black vinyl with some dark green piping and a zip out rear window but also has a 6 inch split behind the driver’s door ( presumably from careless folding)!
So the question is what spec to go for in a new hood. Vinyl, double duck, canvas, mohair are all terms I’ve heard to describe material offerings but which is the most practical? Is a zip out rear window a necessity and is coloured piping acceptable, desirable or down right naff?
Finally who are trusted suppliers to achieve a quality fit and finish?

Once again all advice, experiences and comments appreciated. Regards, David.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Convertible Hood replacement

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi David,
All the main suppliers of parts - Moss, B&G, MGBhive, Rimmers - and more - will provide a quality hood and can send it too you. Check out their websites.
Make sure you order the correct one for the car AND the frame as these changed slightly over the years and many cars have had a frame change along the way. This will give you a good idea of what's involved to do it yourself - http://www.mgexp.com/article/soft-top-replacement.html
As you are aware, the original hoods were vinyl, but the vinyl available today is considered to be inferior and is prone to tears and cracking. The best available is Mohair and that is used for the modern MGF and TF, but it is more expensive and is a good selling feature should you wish to sell the come in the future. Only maintenance it to hoover it now and then to get the diesel particulates out of the material. Double Duck is 2 layers of canvas with a rubber membrane inbetween. It is prone to fading.
I don't know of any soft top makers in the west country (perhaps others can help) but a friend had a bespoke Mohair hood made and fitted by Don Hoods in Erdington, Birmingham and it was absolutely superb. The MGB wouldn't need bespoking and they will have the pattern for making one. They can send it to you if you feel confident to fit it, or get a local restorers to fit it for you.
Whether you go for a zip out window or not personal choice, but if it is stitched in make sure you follow the folding instructions in the drivers handbook. This will make sure you don't trap in the frame when it is folding and crack the rear window.
Prices don't seem to vary much between suppliers, so it might be more of a case of who can get one to you quickest.
A full tonneau cover is useful for a B as well, especially on nice sunny days and is quicker to put up and keep the interior out of site. There are plenty for sale on ebay - make sure you get one with suitable for the headrest seats and that it is for a RHD car! Don't bother with half tonneau (hood cover), in my opinion they are a waste of time (and money) unless it is a concourse car.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
David Ramsbotham
Forename: David
Surname: Ramsbotham

Post by David Ramsbotham »

I am very tempted by the modern fabric examples as I would think there is less likelihood of material splitting when folded, which is obviously what has happened in the past on my car! The only slight issue is how this will be perceived within MG circles given that it does not remotely reflect the original material. I am not planning a concourse car but nevertheless want something that is not perceived as being “messed about with”.
Certainly going to have a look at Don Hoods, Peter, but will only consider fitting myself if they come with header attached.
Cheers, David
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

Don Hoods every time.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Peter Cresswell

Hi David,
Personally, I think having a mohair hood is a big plus point for the car, whether you wish to sell or just keep dry (and warm!). Yes a concours judge will knock points off for it not being original, but as you are not planning to restore (and maintain the car to that level), why not go for the best! It will certainly be appreciated when you go to a pub meet or in the MGB parking area at MG Live!
This advice would be different if it was an LE roadster or perhaps an MGC roadster as they are so much rarer and deserve to be kept in an original factory spec. But, there are so many 'run of the mill' MGBs still surviving that being different allows you to stand out from the crowd - there is room for everyone! Just enjoy it for the fun it will give you, and make sure you can maximise that.

You might have to send your header rail to Don Trimming for them to fit it. Even better might be to ship (take a look at https://www.parcel2go.com ) your whole existing hood as it is comes off the car to them, so they can make sure all the fixings are in the correct place for your car and do all the fitting to the frame for you. It then just a case of refitting it to the car. Give them a call to discuss your needs, they are very helpful. I first used Don Trimming in 1967 for an MG TD tonneau cover, so to be in business for 50 years or so they must be doing something right!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Malcom & Julian
Forename: Malcolm
Surname: Sperring-Toy

Post by Malcom & Julian »

Hi from Leek Peter,

My son and I have recently bought a 1967 Mk1 in BRG.
The condition is excellent for a 52 year old 'B' but we were considering changing the hood. Mohair looks nice but my concern would be both fading and getting stained by the unavoidable bird droppings especially at the coast.

Have you any experience or been told about mohair hoods and tonneaus?

Kind regards

Malcolm
MGB Mk1 1967
Peter Cresswell

Hi Malcolm
My only experience with a mohair hood was the one fitted to a 2002 MG TF I had a few years ago. This was quite grey in colour but using Autoglym Hood Cleaner and Hood Protector fixed the problem and it looked good again.
I mentioned above the friend who had a bespoke hood made (it was for a Jensen Healey) by Don Hoods. They reckoned that a mohair hood needs vacuuming every month to get rid of the diesel particulates which lead to a deterioration of the appearance of the hood. So I don't think there is any problems during the life of the hood if it is properly look after.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Malcom & Julian
Forename: Malcolm
Surname: Sperring-Toy

Post by Malcom & Julian »

Many thanks for your advice Peter - much appreciated.

We had decided that when we do replace with either vinyl or mohair, Don Hoods in Birmingham would be the place to take it to. The other place we hear good reports for general work is Prestige MG in Rugeley which, again, is relatively close.
MGB Mk1 1967
Peter Cresswell

When my friend with the Jensen Healey asked Don Trimming about a vinyl hood they could make one but the vinyl they could get these days was vastly inferior to the vinyl hood were originally made from. So he chose to have mohair, which was about twice as expensive (+ the bespoking!) but it really transformed the look of the car. They did a superb job!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK