Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Replacement Tyres

Post by Charles Farran »

Guys,

I am looking to replace (staying with the same profile) my Goodyear Eagle NCT 185/70 88H tyres shod on Minator 14J wheels. I bought these on a wheel & tyre deal from Brown & Gammon on a Silverstone weekend some years ago & am looking to replace the tyres purely due to their age as there is plenty of tread left. When i changed to these from RO -Styles shod with orig profile i was amazed by the improvement in overall handling of my otherwise (apart from upgraded brakes) standard performance RB roadster.
I am aware that tyres produced more recently ,whether made by the same manufacturer or not, do not exhibit the same characteristics with the side walls being more flexible etc.etc as a consequence of having to meet changing regulations. (There have been various articles on this issue in the MGOC magazine in the last couple of years - indeed one of the writers had the same Goodyear tyres as me).
The current tyres give very predictable & stable handling both on fast corners & in a straight line. I would say i am a spirited driver following the maxim of "safety fast". I would not be using these for track days.
My mileage is not more than 2000 per annum & tend to only use the car on the road from Spring through to late Autumn so a winter tyre is not required!
I would be interested to hear any views & recommendations having posted a similar thread on the BBS site.

Cheers,Charles
1980 Roadster
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: Replacement Tyres

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Charles
I use Toyo Nanoenergy in 185/70 x 14 on my MGB. They grip well even on a track with progressive characteristics and wear well. I'm impressed with them to replace them with the same. Around £56 each.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

I think i am getting close to a choice of either Toyo or Kumho now ! (Brown & Gammon at Stoneleigh spares day liked the Toyo (Possibly as at the time the rep told me they had had a big order in))!

Having spent a day last week (as part of my Spring clean & underbody inspection including diff oil replacement & gear box oil top up) I removed all 4 wheels & cleaned rims on both sides & inspected the current tyres closely. I have to say on the face of it the rubber looks in good order with no evidence of cracking/delamination ,but i am very conscious that just because they look OK, it doesn't mean that the rubber hasn't in fact aged!

Cheers

Charles
1980 Roadster
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Charles
Have you dated the tyres you have? See here for how to do it - https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age .
Once 10 years old tyres are now considered to need changing whatever the tread depth and other outward signs.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965