Technical MGB discussion
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay
MGCC Member: Yes

Mgb rear axle

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi
Looking for a bit of advice. Just changing the N/S rear wheel bearing on my 1974 MGB. According to the manual, official B/L, section HA which refers to the later Semi floating type of axle, it states the wheel bearing should be packed with grease before fitting. When I look at the old bearing there is no grease and it looks like the bearing is lubricated by the diff oil. Could someone advise if I should follow the manual and grease the bearing or lubricate with Hypoid oil and rely on the diff oil for lubrication.
Many thanks
Mike
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: Mgb rear axle

Post by Ian F »

I would always follow the official manual and use a high melting point grease - Castrol LM if you can find it. I'm not really qualified to say whether hypoid oil would adequately lubricate a wheel bearing, but I would prefer to have a lubricant which stays in place when the car isn't in motion!
Hypoid oil does lubricate the inner bearings etc. of course but these parts are probably in closer contact with the oil "bath" in the diff.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

As per Ian I have always packed the outer bearings with grease. However I have never stopped to think why! Having looked at the drawings in the manual (I have an MGC manual which has more detail than the MGB ones I have seen) I think the reason for doing this is the outer bearings are partially or fully shrouded by the housing and although the hypoid oil from the diff will eventually find its way to the bearings they may have been badly damaged by heat before this happens. I don't think there is too much oil that far down the tubes until you partake in some vigorous cornering and the inertia throws the oil down the tube. So I believe packing with grease gives the bearing the best start in their life which may last for 100,000 miles.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Ian and Pete
Many thanks for your advice. Will pack with grease and put it all back together.
Best regards
Mike