Engine swop

Technical MGB discussion
Denis
Forename: Denis
Surname: Richards
MGCC Member: Yes

Engine swop

Post by Denis »

I am in need of advice. I have a 1968 CB car with no engine or gearbox. I have acquired a Engine and gearbox from a RB post 1975. The Engine mounts are different. Can anyone tell me if the CB engine mounts will fit onto the RB engine ? If not does anyone make an adapter? Am I likely to encounter any problems fitting the gearbox crossmember from the RB car.
Andrew Tilney
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Tilney

Re: Engine swop

Post by Andrew Tilney »

You will need to change the front bearer plate, you can sometimes see these for sale on ebay for between £25 to £30 , you will also need a crank pulley lock tab, timing cover gasket and seal, cam gear lock tab, 3 star washers for the camshaft thrust pad bolts, and a front bearer plate gasket, as for the gearbox cross member I don't know but there are a lot of different combinations for fitting them,OD/NON OD, is just one.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Cheers Andrew, that's pretty comprehensive advice. I will see if I can those bits from Moss and I will check out e-bay for the front plate. Many thanks. Denis
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

The front cross member is different on the rubber bumper cars to that used on the chrome bumper cars. The rubber bumper crossmember has 1/2in pads where it sits against the chassis rails and is partly responsible for the increase in ride high of rubber bumper cars.
Incidentally the rubber bumper cross member is the same as the MGB GTV8 and there are LHD and RHD versions.

Edit added - I don't think the front plate for either the CB or RB cars are available new so it will be more a case of trying to get a secondhand one. Try http://www.welshmg.co.uk/wordpress/ or Andy Jennings on 01489 790611. Both have good stocks of used parts.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Peter Cresswell

Hi Denis
You might have a problem with the speedo reading, so should also read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=588&p=2706#p2706
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Denis

Post by Denis »

Many thanks to both of you for advice. I have now ordered a mounting plate on e-bay and I am sure those contacts will be very useful as i shall need lots of parts for my rebuild.

Regards,

Denis
Peter Cresswell

Hi Denis
There are three arrangements for the gearbox crossmember - up to 1967 for the 3-synchro gearboxes, 1967 to 1974 for early GTs with 3 synchro boxes and the 4 synchro chrome bumper cars and 1974 on for all the rubber bumper cars. The crossmember for the early cars and the late cars both featured a tie rod arrangement that limits the fore/aft movement of the engine and gearbox so the fan doesn't hit the radiator under braking. The 1967 - 74 arrangement uses a vertical pin arrangement and a restraint plate on the front engine mounting on the left hand side which together limit the movement. This is the one your car (being a 1968 car) should have, and there are something like 36 ways it can go together.
A description of the different types can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUJE0AkWh1E
and a drawing of the types can be viewed here:
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... s-mgb.html
and the arrangement for the front engine mounts can be viewed here:
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... s-mgb.html
The extra plate is Item No.14.
Fitting the crossmember is one of the most frustrating jobs that you do on an MGB! See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJRTtRRKl8
Life can be simplified by a simple modification before you start to put the crossmember together. See here for what to do:
http://www.mginfo.co.uk/upgrades4mgs/Dr ... cross.html
It still took me 4 hours to put the 2 bolts into the centre of the crossmember!!!

Incidentally the MGC uses a very different arrangement which is very easy to fit, but unfortunately does not fit the B, so don't be tempted to buy this one.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Andrew Tilney

Post by Andrew Tilney »

Dennis I have just been reading my original post to you and noticed that I didn't put down a timing chain adjuster lock tab, you will need to ad that to your list sorry,
Andrew Tilney

Post by Andrew Tilney »

and timing chain adjuster gasket
Denis

Post by Denis »

Thanks fella's, for all your advice. I have taken it onboard and will acquire the parts ready for when I actually fit the engine and gearbox. I never realised the gearbox crossmember and mountings could be such a headache! But first have a lot of tin worm to deal with not to mention a paint job.