Rheostat

Technical MGB discussion
Stephen Aitken
Forename: Stephen
Surname: Aitken

Rheostat

Post by Stephen Aitken »

Managed to remove the black knob through the hole on the side but how do you remove the rheostat that sits behind. I’m struggling to get my hand behind the dash but is it screwed in do I need to loosen something to the front first?
Problem is that the dimmer only illuminates when it’s about half way and nothing when turned full way therefore not giving the full brightness. Oddly it is brighter when the side lights are on then is fainter when full headlights on - assume they are separately connected.
Any help appreciated (again)
S
MGB GT LE 1980
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Rheostat

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I took the rev counter out then its easy. Rheostat comes apart easily and a good clean and its as good as new.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

I think you said on another post that you had changed the original instrument bulbs for LEDs. This will affect the Rheostat 's operation. Your LEDs may also not be the dimmible type.
Cheers, Charles
1980 Roadster
Stephen Aitken
Forename: Stephen
Surname: Aitken

Post by Stephen Aitken »

Hi yes the led doesn’t dim.Have put both the connectors into one side of the rheostat therefore get full light on all the time and the dimmer light is therefore redundant. Light on the dash is super bright vs what it was before and feels a bit safer..god knows why a dimmer would be added to these cars given the standard light isn’t great in the first place!!
Thanks again (sorry for all these questions) though getting to know the car raises quite a few questions
MGB GT LE 1980