Big or little job?

General MGB discussion
Comfyjumper
Forename: Jill
Surname: Painter

Big or little job?

Post by Comfyjumper »

Hi all....I own two BGT’s, one chrome (Peggy) one rubber bumper (Ella). I need to pick your knowledgeable brains on two topics (sorry). My RB needs a new panel, (and I apologise for not knowing the proper name) which is the one which the bottom of the windscreen fits into and the wings connect to nearest the doors. A) is it expensive to replace b)is it a big job? I realise the screen has to come out and wings off.
The second is that the CB is currently a non runner, but was a ground up rebuild. The shell had all the necessary welding done, new sills ect and resprayed midnight blue. Four doner cars were used, plus new brightwork, seats, carpet, wings, SS exhaust, wiring loom. My budget is limited, so new engine/gearbox is out. I’m considering converting the RB to CB using as much as I can from the CB then selling the body shell. Opinions please?
Thank you all
Jill
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Big or little job?

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Jill,
The panel in question is the whole windscreen surround which is part no HZA5553. This is priced at around £350. Fitting it is likely to be complex and time consuming (read as expensive) as it has to fit into the roof as well as the front wings and bonnet hole. If the screen surround itself is ok a restorer might be able to use a roadster panel or even fabricate a repair section to make a satisfactory repair. You will need to talk to a restorer about what is possible as it is impossible to guess what is involved without seeing the car.

There will be some paint work needed unless you go ahead with your plan to end up with one car which is a chrome bumper GT, which seems to me to be the better option. If the CB has had all the welding done that sounds as if it the best place to start from If disposing of the RB shell I would sell it as it is as doing the above repair wouldn't cost in.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Comfyjumper
Forename: Jill
Surname: Painter

Post by Comfyjumper »

Peter, thank you.....it’s such a shame, the RB has only done 48000 and runs really well. I did toy with the idea of swapping the engine/gearbox/axle into the CB but wasn’t sure if they were compatible. I’ll get a few quotes for bodywork if I can find a good restorer/bodyshop where I live near Ipswich. Thanks again.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Jill
The engine, gearbox/overdrive and rear axle will fit either. There are some detail differences in parts of the engine, and perhaps the gearbox crossmember, but essentially they are compatible.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Jill
Have to agree with Pete as all the welding etc has been done on the CB car that this the car to complete.

It seems sensible too to put the RB engine into the CB car- as Pete says they are compatible apart from some small details which can easily be overcome.

The Anglia Centre of the MGCC is a great source of information and help.

As you are "near" Ipswich why not come to the next Club meet at the Lion at Needham Market from about 7.30 pm on the 13 July (always the second Friday) where you should be able to meet up with those that can assist. Does not matter if you don't come in an MG.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

You will have to swap the front engine plate as the mounts are different.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF