T bar handle choke knob

Technical MGB discussion
Stephen Aitken
Forename: Stephen
Surname: Aitken

T bar handle choke knob

Post by Stephen Aitken »

Putting some wood veneer dash in recently but the t-bar handle knob for the choke means I can’t fit it over it. Is it possible just to remove the choke knob but not having to take out all the cable? looks like it could be welded to the cable..
MGB GT LE 1980
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: T bar handle choke knob

Post by Peter Cresswell »

If you disconnect the choke cable at the carb end you should be able to pull the inner cable out using the T handle leaving the cable outer in situ. When you have fitted the wood simple push the inner cable back through and reconnect at the carb end. The only thing that make this difficult is if the carb end of the cable has become frayed which will make it difficult to push it back through the inner. It might then be easier to get a new complete choke cable and just use the inner from that.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Phill Burbank
Forename: phillip
Surname: burbank
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Phill Burbank »

If the lock on the choke cable is working correctly then you will have to remove the whole cable inner and outer. The nut securing the outer cable I found can be just undone by taking out the two screw on the drivers side of the centre consul, giving just enough room to undo it. Once the inner cable end is removed from the carb it can then be withdrawn. I personally would attach a piece of flexible wire to it and pull this through so that the choke cable can be pulled back once the wood veneer is fitted.
But in a word the answer to your question is if the choke cable locking mechanism is working no you can't.
Stephen Aitken
Forename: Stephen
Surname: Aitken

Post by Stephen Aitken »

All done..bit fiddly to remove near the carbs but removed fine and back in again..
Thanks for the advice..
MGB GT LE 1980